Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Weld & Surface Finish Symbols

navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
It would be nice if OS could include these types of symbols in the drawing feature, we do a lot of welding in our tooling and GSE. 
Nicolas Ariza V.
Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions

Comments

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    +1
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    ron_24ron_24 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    For symbols, maybe a editable library could be the approach to take.

Whereby it could cater not only for standard welding, surface and geometric tolerance symbols, but also for a wide range of non-standard and custom  ones.
  • Options
    walterwalter Member Posts: 41 EDU
    +1
  • Options
    stg434stg434 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @ron_24 +1
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    I'm curious.  In my current day job we use ANSI weld symbols on our weldment fabrication drawings.  What does everyone use as far as their standard?  @brucebartlett I'm curious as to what you use in your part of the world.
  • Options
    michael_hassonmichael_hasson OS Professional Posts: 14 ✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @pete_yodis
    We have our our Australian Standard for weld symbols, but can get away with ISO for most things.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @brucebartlett Everyone's got to be special in their own way... I get it.  ;)
  • Options
    jarand_rorgemoen_jarand_rorgemoen_ Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Weld symbols, surface symbols, and tolerances is a must have if Onshape is to work as a professional draft tool. Its damn close already, but still a bit off on the drawing side of things. 
  • Options
    phil_erdley628phil_erdley628 Member Posts: 16 PRO
    +1
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @jarand_rorgemoen_ We are working on things in this area.  Can you say what is lacking currently on the tolerance side of things in drawings?
  • Options
    bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
    Surface finish symbols are lacking
  • Options
    Weld symbols are lacking - not having surface finish and weld symbols available are a serious shortcoming, making it difficult to produce proper detailed drawings - is this a priority on the Onshape list?
  • Options
    @bert_fourie Yes both of these are a priority for us.  We hear you loud and clear.  I completely agree these are shortcomings to getting your drawing done.
  • Options
    Thanks Pete
  • Options
    martin_cooper667martin_cooper667 Member Posts: 6 PRO
    +1
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 26 PRO
    +1
  • Options
    michael_hassonmichael_hasson OS Professional Posts: 14 ✭✭
    PeteYodis said:
    @bert_fourie Yes both of these are a priority for us.  We hear you loud and clear.  I completely agree these are shortcomings to getting your drawing done.
    Hi Pete - have you any update on welding symbols, in particular?  This quite seriously hampers an otherwise excellent tool.
    Thanks
    Michael
  • Options
    @michael_hasson We don't publish timelines, but again we do know this is very important for our users.  
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    What is beings used by most to produce weld symbols. Have been working with the only sketch tool (line) available in drawings along with notes. It's incomplete and looks very bad. Also been trying to produce in other programs and import but results there are not so good either.

Desperately need to have good weld symbols to finish current project.
  • Options
    StefanRStefanR Member Posts: 8 PRO
    @glen_dewsbury,  In the time being i use the square root symbol and place the finish above it such as below.
    Note that not all fonts support the sqrt symbol to pdf, therefore my sqrt symbol is usually placed in Dejavu Sans.

Hope the next update round has some surprises considering drawings.

• Options
    jeremy_lacombejeremy_lacombe Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Weld symbols is a must have for our business.  I could not pull the trigger on a software change without this feature in the drawings. 
  • Options
    henrik_lundgren666henrik_lundgren666 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem as jeremy, need weld symbols to change system from inventor.