Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to simulate gravity in assembly.

I am constructing a very simple device which is essentially cloth tension device which has a manually operated rod whit ratchet wheel and a pin to stop it from moving backward. I believe i managed to model all the parts of an assembly and join them with respective joins. I would love to see how the pin fits to the ratchet wheel in the circular motion. I couldn't find a function to apply either gravity on pin to naturally fall onto wheel and move up and down the teeth as the wheel turns. Is there any way to simulate this?

Answers

• Options
    rune_thorsenrune_thorsen Member Posts: 7
    This would really be a great thing. It would require some implementation of collision detection I think. I would see it as a single weight that could be applied to objects
  • Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    edited January 2017
    Currently there is no way to simulate gravity in assemblies. Depending on the geometry, you may be able to use the tangent mate to simulate the contact. If you could make the document public and share a link here we could take a look.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    mike_zilaimike_zilai Member Posts: 2 PRO
    This would help immensely
  • Options
    Dylan_MasonDylan_Mason Member Posts: 1 EDU
    The tangent mate works very well.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Gravity is just a theory...  ;)