Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Spring compression/expansion in Assembly

duane_1duane_1 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
Is there a method to have a spring show compression and expansion in an assembly?

In a search I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSXddwwanc

However it is too grainy for me to follow.

Thanks

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    To me that looks like each spring loop is divided into quarters, each section mated using revolutes, and gear mates applied so that it all moves together. Wouldn't recommend doing this in a production assembly.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    #NeilCooke 

Is there a possibility of flexible parts coming to assemblies in our future?
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Thanks for checking out my video! I created this spring exactly how Neil explained. Given the complexity of the mates, I also would not recommend using this in any large assembly environment. 

There is already an improvement request for a "Flex" or "Bend" feature, is this what you are looking for?
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    tim_rice1 said:

There is already an improvement request for a "Flex" or "Bend" feature, is this what you are looking for?
    Yes.
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Great, I will add you to the improvement request.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • to_cato_ca Member Posts: 13
    I arrived here looking for the spring feature in assembly, I'd be grateful if you could add me to the feature request as well.
  • SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Could I add that for a spring to be really useful, rather than just aesthetically pleasing, it needs to understand the concept of exerting a force on something, and not just visually compressing/expanding to fill a gap.

If force was possible, then other things like for example a working ratchet become possible. (Obviously once you embark on forces, then gravity and other requirements come up too.)

Obviously this quickly expands into various types of springs - linear, nonlinear, coil, leaf, and many more.

Can I be added to the feature request if possible please.
  • andrew_kleinertandrew_kleinert Member Posts: 47 PRO
    +1 for this as an improvement request.

Am attempting to model a soft gasket and I think this is analogous?  It would be handy to be able to represent the gasket in its fitted state (being able to design around the gasket) and in its unfitted state (the design of the gasket itself)

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Could I be added to this feature request please 

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While not completely seamless, this can mostly be done via in-context editing. See my link below.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57acdfaae4b005c413ed9b6f/w/3fd585a46d3af1b3ba413c53/e/a5536930d99a76b7a4bee2c9
    1. Drag the upper plate to a new position
    2. Right-click one of the components and select Context 1 > Update context
    3. Spring adapts to new spacing.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    What I would like is continuous in-context editing. I would like the effect seamless
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    For some of these representations of compressed springs/gaskets I would use a configuration table to be able to show compressed/non-compressed. For Example, an O-ring with a circular profile could be done with an ellipse instead of a circle in the sketch. Then you have the advantage of changing the two numbers to represent compression. Not a perfect solution, but visually you could get the message across.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Ok - sorry to be 'Mr Counterpoint' - but why are you needing to do this?

The bottom line is that all this is possible, but likely at a very high (computational) cost and development resources. 
    We are maniacally focussed on providing production workflows - meaning, what does a company need to get something designed, released, manufactured and ultimately sold to customers? We have a VERY long list of requests and i am looking for some sense of where this would come in a list of priorities? @michael_mcclain is absolutely correct - with configs we can have two states for springs and there is a custom feature for squished O rings. If you are looking for kinematics (forces) or deformations (FEA), we have some amazing partners that offer these capabilities.

@duane_1 -   That said, Onshape can do some amazing things and we are more than happy to help you !!! :) 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • jakub_menoušekjakub_menoušek Member Posts: 11
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @jakub_menoušek you have more patience than me that's for sure.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI