Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Loft issue

fmafma Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
edited February 2017 in Community Support
Hi!

I'm trying to use the 'loft' tool, but I'm unable to do what I want. Here is a simple case:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/745756e8a13804d0078eb51c/w/27a362bdfeeae4d6bc3de5a1/e/0fea75d1e3af1eea2a2a2d56

How can I make the vertices from one sketch match the correct ones in the other sketch, as I don't have the same number? I don't understand how does the 'Match vertices' tool work...

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    fma , Since it has different vertices we are not getting expected result.

As a work around i have divided both sketch into two and lofted separately as below,

• Options
    edited February 2017

• Options
    edited February 2017

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Sorry for the multiple messages.Since it has showed me error while posting comments.i pressed post comment button multiple times.At last there are 4 same comments.

• Options
    Ok, I see! I have tried to add some simple points, on the 'sketch to' rectangle, but it didn't work.

BTW, adding the central line on 'sketch to' solves the problem without the need to use multiple lofts.

Thanks!
  • Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    fma said:
    Ok, I see! I have tried to add some simple points, on the 'sketch to' rectangle, but it didn't work.

BTW, adding the central line on 'sketch to' solves the problem without the need to use multiple lofts.

Thanks!
    Instead of adding simple points, I suggest using the Split tool (in the same drop-down list with Trim and Extend).    I didn't realize there was a difference between Split and Point until watching one of Cody Armstrong's awesome instructional videos a few months back.

• Options
    Even better. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    Ok, now, I have the 'self-intersecting body' issue (not on the above example). I read some other posts related to that problem, but I have to admit that I don't understand what it means...
  • Options
    fma said:
    Ok, now, I have the 'self-intersecting body' issue (not on the above example). I read some other posts related to that problem, but I have to admit that I don't understand what it means...
    That basically means somewhere the loft would fold in on itself with your current sketches.  Probably the loft you're imagining doesn't do that, but you need to provide more instructions for onshape to follow so it will follow your idea better and not intersect itself.  That's where guidelines become necessary.

There's something else that took me a while to pick up on, which matters for guidelines in lofts:  Pierce works better than Coincident for attaching guidelines to profiles.
  • Options
    Ok, I will have a look at guidelines. Thanks.
  • Options
    Another thing I don't understand: why does from/to order matter?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Order matters because you're not limited to two profiles.  You can loft through 3 or more and Onshape needs to know which way to go

• Options
    I see!!! I didn't know it was possible to use more that 2 profiles! Great.