Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to search the public documents by Owner?

SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
Title says it all.

I see owner listed, but I cannot see a way to search by owner.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
  • Options
    StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    Recently having a need to search for a Document by an attribute other than by name I was quite surprised (actually very disappointed) that document search is so primitive. For a product that is advertised for its data management and collaboration capabilities the lack of a tool to "find" data is a black eye for the product.
  • Options
    gauthier_östervallgauthier_östervall Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    Still nothing right? I'd also expect that clicking on the headers of the search results to sort ascending/descending for that field.
  • Options
    jim_petrillojim_petrillo Member Posts: 2
    Agreed still nothing right?

So as a designer with many public documents I can't even link to my own page for people to follow me?  

I thought least if you're on a design you should easily be able to find the owner, and click to see their profile and other designs they've made.

It's easier for me to track designers through third-party 3D model sharing websites like prusaprinters.org than to use Google or search for an owner in onshape. crazy!
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Agreed still nothing right?

So as a designer with many public documents I can't even link to my own page for people to follow me?  

I thought least if you're on a design you should easily be able to find the owner, and click to see their profile and other designs they've made.

It's easier for me to track designers through third-party 3D model sharing websites like prusaprinters.org than to use Google or search for an owner in onshape. crazy!
    Oh, I like that idea of a profile page which shows your public docs...
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    I know right... But anyone on a free account is not supposed to be doing paid work anyway. So there should be no intellectual property on the public side. 

People want the world for free. The barrier to entry for Onshape pro is very reasonable even for a hobbiest that wants to protect his property. I mean when they convinced me to buy my subscription they said it was the equivalent of one cup of coffe from Starbucks every workday. And it actually isn't far off from that. 

I paid for the Onshape sub out of my pocket for the first couple years before my boss saw the potential and had the company finially pitch in.  Worth every penny in my opinion 
  • Options
    EGenEGen Member Posts: 5
    Searching by User would be beneficial.
    • Maybe you find a Document that fills a niche, and you wonder if that User has other niche-designs.
    • Maybe you find a Document that is really well made, then you can explore that User's Documents and learn good practices in design, or the feature tree, or the revision history.
    • It would help private contractors.  Instead of saying "here's a list of URLs to my designs" one could say "here is my page" or "search <MyUserName> on OnShape."
  • Options
    martienmartien Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Odd. I think this still doesn't work. But n the other hand, the advanced search help page (https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/advanced_search.htm) says it should work:

Add criteria - Free, Standard, and Education account users can use this field to search for default fields including Owner and Creator.

But, when I try, those fields are not there. There is a "DrawnBy", but that doesn't seem to refer to the owner.

Is this a feature limited to Premium or so? Or is that page just incorrect, and this still doesn't actually work?