Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Kinematics and kinetics simulation in Onshape

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
Hi. Coming from the Solidworks world, the motion study tool was extremely useful. Whether that was for creating simple animations, to tracking a position or acceleration of a part or point over time, to applying forces, friction, etc. to simulate a mechanism and view graphical results. What is the best and easiest way to do this using Onshape? I've been using a lot of 3rd party applications and I'm finding that it is becoming extremely complicated (and getting costly) to use so many different "Apps" whereas a program like Solidworks does it all "in house" easily.

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    @dan_engerer
     You're not going to fine any of these capabilities in onshape today....and I bet it will be a long time before we do.  
    Keep in mind how long SW has been around vs onshape.  
    Also the cost difference between the two.  
  • Options
    dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    That's really disappointing! I was sold into onshape under the guise that it can do basically everything solideorks can, if not through the program itself then through apps. Sim wise 4D seems to be the only app that is even capable, and it costs a fortune, which defeats the whole purpose of going to Onshape. 
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    From a parametric modeling standpoint, onshape basically can do everything sw can.....in every other area it's not even close.  
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    There is also now a connection to "Simscape Multibody' that would allow to import Onshape assembly with Mates into Simulink/Simscape environment.

https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/Simulation/WDQVG4FR4C3POP7HKZGTEIAWPF4VDGEB4ATH6HI=/description