Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can I Extrude an imported picture or at least have it visibile in the assembly?

todd_leiter591todd_leiter591 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2017 in Community Support
I have inserted an image, a .jpg  silouette of a person, and affixed the picture to the current part.  On Screen, in the parts view, it looks correct.  But when I import the part to the assembly, the visual of the .jpg disappears.  I also cannot extrude the .jpg (which I thought would be cool if it would, but am not surprised it can't).  Can I get the .jpg portion of the part to show up in the assembly drawing?

NOTE:  Reason for wanting this:
This is a CNC'd wood part.  We need two steps to create the part.  Create the OnShape part, like a 6 x 10" plaque, and then in a separate program, we create a .pdf lettering and/or person siloutte that gets imported into the CNC machine.  I was looking to import that .pdf (or picture) into OnShape and Best Case, have the picture be able to be extruded to the thickness of the plaque, or to show up in the Assembly Drawing so we can visually see it (or possibly see it in OneRender).  
Is there another way to accomplish this all withing OnShape? 

Best Answers

Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    Todd,

Once you import the image as a sketch into a part studio, you can trace the image with our sketch tools, then extrude the faces you create.  Here are a couple examples of how this is done:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7f02baa672c863febd89cb55/w/86109a9b80a71853f4531b43/e/204d0f05b905ecd4d7cbebeb
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ec4d9c75a4f6b2b6741f2799/w/790919b65a6679b9e59ec03e/e/2a1630ebfa945ac5703a4289

This will probably be more reliable than an online converter that uses edge detection, and will be a similar workflow to tracing the image in another program. 

It is a known bug that Sketch images do not come into assemblies correctly, if you would like to help us with prioritization of that bug, please use the 'feedback' option under the '?' menu in an Onshape Document.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • todd_leiter591todd_leiter591 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Jake and Bradley, That gave me a great answers and options.  Much appreciated!
  • henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    This is actually a pretty common question for laser cutter folks, and on the forums the other technique is to take a scan of your wood carving (as in put it on the bed), and bring the scan into photoshop and adjust the posterizing (B&W) and contrast so you get just the faces you want showing and nothing else. Then using Illustrator (or inkscape) do an auto trace, and clean up. This yields a highly accurate path. Normally you also want to "simplify" the path (I don't know the ink space terminology, but that's the command in AI) to get rid of extra curve points that don't really contribute to geometry. Then export that as a DXF or SVG... Works surprisingly well.
  • MrDiLizioMrDiLizio Member Posts: 7
    I've made a video that will explain how to extrude SVG files that have been brought into Onshape. 

Hope it helps! 
    https://youtu.be/Qvf0oN_aNBs