Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rib along a 3D-trajectory

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Community Support

I like to make a rib along the yellow 3D-curve in the picture below.

In that picture the shape of the rib is also visible in the 5 sketches.  I started with a sweep with one of the sketches along the curve. That did not give the right shape.

Then I tried a loft, see picture below. That looks good. But… when I select the yellow curve as guide, the loft fails. Probably because the round segment is not a 2D-sketch?

How can I create the rib along the curve?

Reference: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0a1d05a3ea4d5a43c4ffa30d/w/0de9a8be5871399fffc9b80a/e/df2bf44f852c98556ba74542
Henk de Vlaam (NL)

Best Answers

• Options
    homerhomer OS Professional, Developers Posts: 4 PRO
    Answer ✓
    A combo actions of thicken, offset face & boolean could make it work. In terms of design intent, u only need to adjust the amount of thicken & offset face when changing the thickness of the rib is needed.

http://cad.onshape.com/documents/58c6c1b83e5d5c0ff12ee2a3/w/eecb0e5b7fedd2ccf2c1d1f6/e/03fe3377c9fb8917fe10c3a4

Answers

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I also couldn't create it with Loft but did something similar with Sweep and Thiken
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/58c50b0e786ec50fe9e08919/w/e4387c77c6e0ddfef3106270/e/1a285042bfea7dc50d189f02

• Options
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov thanks for your answer and solution. The idea behind it is clear and can be used as a work around.

However, when this is the way one should make the rib then the OS team has a challenge to design a more comfortable solution.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • Options
    Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    Seems like this is just a shortcoming of capabilities within OS, so far, and I'm sure more functionality will be added. Things like "twist along path," more options for guide curves and profiles, the ability to set end conditions while also using guide curves, more intelligent interpretation, etc.

Some images of failed attempts:

• Options
    homerhomer OS Professional, Developers Posts: 4 PRO
    Answer ✓
    A combo actions of thicken, offset face & boolean could make it work. In terms of design intent, u only need to adjust the amount of thicken & offset face when changing the thickness of the rib is needed.

http://cad.onshape.com/documents/58c6c1b83e5d5c0ff12ee2a3/w/eecb0e5b7fedd2ccf2c1d1f6/e/03fe3377c9fb8917fe10c3a4

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    That is clean @homer

nicely done
  • Options
    Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, that is a nice work around. The top surfaces of the rib are rounded, of course, but that may be perfectly OK for the design intention

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Nice work @homer.
    @ben_misegades, a flat top surface is the intention indeed. So this rib does not meet the specs. But I agree that this is fortunately not important in this case.
    However, it indicates again, as we know, that OS cannot model all needed geometrie at this moment. 
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)