Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Gear Mates in new update

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
Far out, I just saw on twitter there has been an update to include Gear Mates.

I should be spending more time modelling less time on social media.... In my defence I have only been in the studio and can not see any changes here.

Anybody else notice some new features/changes?
Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Comments

• caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited March 2015
    In terms of functionality I haven't spotted any other changes.
    However, somehow performance is noticeably snappier across the board.

Dries
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    We appreciate the comment Dries.  On top of the work that is featured in the "What's new" posts we do a lot of work internally in our system to make sure we can deliver our CAD vision to our customers.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    We appreciate the comment Dries.  On top of the work that is featured in the "What's new" posts we do a lot of work internally in our system to make sure we can deliver our CAD vision to our customers.
    Speed is King
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Booyah! Now I can finish my oil pump!

• stefan_1stefan_1 Member Posts: 7
    Can you all help a newbie - how do I create the sketches for these gears? The only thing with a circular pattern that I found are the regular polygons - I can't seem to be able to define my own pattern inside a sketch, though. The functionality is obviously there because that's what the polygons seem to be made of. I'd ideally want to have the number of teeth a parameter in the sketch...
  • chris_aicherchris_aicher OS Professional, User Group Leader Posts: 23 PRO
    FastwayJim,
    I was working on basically  the same idea...cyclodial drive!
    Chris Aicher
    aicher@battleaxe.com
    Tigard, OR
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Stefan said:
    Can you all help a newbie - how do I create the sketches for these gears? The only thing with a circular pattern that I found are the regular polygons - I can't seem to be able to define my own pattern inside a sketch, though. The functionality is obviously there because that's what the polygons seem to be made of. I'd ideally want to have the number of teeth a parameter in the sketch...
    I'd make a blank with 1 tooth cut out, then do a circular pattern of the cut faces. Make sure you have the face pattern checked so you can select faces.

You could make a simple equation in the in number of instances dialogue or on sketch dimensions but can not link dimensions "yet" so at the moment your not going to get you far.

Next time ask your question from the new discussion drop down, top right on the forum home screen. You might get a quicker answer then. 
    edited March 2015
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/46b17dd88ed24f55bca2eb69/w/81cd48206e74495eb7d7dee1/e/802bcd67d5fe492c84f36e1e

Check this public document out. I can control the number of teeth by a simple equation on the angle in the sketch. eg 360/(number of teeth) and repeat that in the pattern, seems to work, just need configurations and linked dimensions before to build the sizes out, however for now you can copy tab, resize and rename. 
  • stefan_1stefan_1 Member Posts: 7
    @BruceBartlett - Thanks a lot, this certainly helps; I still would like to see a circular pattern feature in the sketch itself; What I originally tried was additive - I added up individual teeth and ended up with a crazy slow part studio :) I'm tempted to cut a few of these just for fun.
    @stefan I agree there still needs to be more tools in the sketcher, patterns would be useful, send your requests in with the feedback button under the question mark top right. Now is the best time to get all your good ideas into the team.