Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape could load on my old computer until today...

K_PiperK_Piper Member Posts: 2
I have a very old computer (2009 Mac), and I was surprised that it could run Onshape in the first place, but it could. Today, when I logged in, however, it told me that WebGL was not enabled, and I checked to ensure that it was. I re-launched Onshape, but it gave me the same error.

Is this just my problem on my computer, or are other people having this problem?

Answers

• K_PiperK_Piper Member Posts: 2
    It still works in Safari, but I much prefer chrome.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    It happened to my manager at work, I forgot exactly what we did, but I'll bring it up tomorrow.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    So we ended up having him use firefox instead. But eventually it just started working again one day...

sorry that wasn't much help.

But I do know he has video card problems for other things and we swapped out his card for another. And eventually swapped it back because it wasn't the issue.

Between the time chrome stopped working, and now there was a couple windows updates that came through. And swapping out the cards may have forced him to re-install drivers.

So in the case of a MAC, you may just wanna check your software updates.
  • EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    Older mac drivers have some stability issues.  So there have been cases where Chrome has blacklisted these GPUs, effectively disabling WebGL (and Onshape).  If Chrome (or macOS) updated, it's possible your GPU has been put on the blacklist.  

You can check by starting up Chrome and navigating to:  chrome://gpu 

Once there, look for the "WebGL" entry under "Graphics Feature Status".  If it indicates that it is disabled, then it may be a blacklisted driver.

If this is the case, you can force Chrome to enable WebGL anyways.  To do that, navigate Chrome to:  chrome://flags 

Once there, click "Enable" on "Override software rendering list".  Then relaunch Chrome.  That should cause WebGL to be enabled again.  However, note that there may be stability issues on some websites that use the GPU.  (I've done this on an old mac that I have, and it can't run Google Maps, for instance.)