Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Tracking forks.. or how to find the parent version among many children.

magnus_hammarmagnus_hammar Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
While looking at a tutorial for a Vise I decided to try searching for that model. The problem is that I see a very big number of part studios in various stages of completion but I cannot seem to find any references to the "original" part studio. Perhaps I have missed something obvious here but if not, this is a feature I would like to see.

Tagged:

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    No, It's just bad habits of many people. They all make a public copy, and don't think to rename it.

OS needs to provide a way to search by owner..

I think this is it:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7f7b9f379a6847109283c30a/w/a2074bdd29e441a0bdd1a7e1/e/5fbaea28cdba4329940698b1
  • magnus_hammarmagnus_hammar Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thank you for the link. This naming problem is unfortunate. I wish that they had the same concept as Git promotes, that you didn't just blindly copy some other project but retained a reference to the original document. Then it would be trivial to find the source among multiple variations of a part and it would also be possible to merge improvements...

Let say that you have modeled a bolt that I use and then later you improve the model with some fillets etc to make it pretty.

What I would like to see in my part studio is a message saying that I am N edits behind you on the bolt and if your edits can be merged without conflicts. I can then inspect your changes and decide for or against merging them. It would also be trivial to get the current behavior, I just stop tracking your bolt. Then it is "copied". 

Git also have the concept of shallow clone that would make sense in an OS setting. That way I can fork your part but without your version history. I would still get the benefits of seeing if you made improvements on the part that I then could incorporate or reject in my fork.

With all that said. I really like Onshape and will probably jump in as soon as there is a method for handling configurations. Also, regardless of my opinion that OS is missing out a bit on the versioning side of things I suffer the monstrosity that is called SW Enterprise PDM on a daily basis so it will be an improvement.