Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Line widths in drawings

andy_boyerandy_boyer Member Posts: 4
After importing a part into a drawing I see that the line widths for the drawing are too thick so as to make it look silly.  Is there a way to adjust (reduce) the width of lines in drawings?  Thanks.

Answers

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Hi Andy,

Can you be more specific? What makes the line widths look silly?

Thanks!

Jason
    Support & QA
  • shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    andy_boyer , we could not adjust the line width in the drawing , but as my experience, if you choose a proper drawing template and a proper scale , you can get clear views, please have a try!
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @andy_buyer, Currently user cannot change dimension line properties in Onshape. You can raise improvement request for this. We hope in near future this facility will be provided by Onshape.
  • jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    Hi Andy,
      We don't yet have a direct means to edit the line widths, and it's unclear at this time when we'll have that or how it will look. 

I'll explain a workaround you can use in the meantime, but first let me explain something about how our lines look on screen (not exactly WYSIWYG) and ask you a question.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE between what you see on screen and what you see on paper when you print.  If we were truly WYSIWYG, then when you zoom far in on a line, it would keep expanding until it fills the entire screen.  You'll notice that instead, our lines stay a fixed number of pixels wide no matter how far you zoom in or out.  This optimizes for a good experience when zoomed in.  Lines will appear thinner than they really are on paper, and you'll have much finer control and ability to select exactly the line or point you want.   The drawback is that lines look too thick when you're zoomed all the way out to fit (the default when you open a drawing), especially when using a small screen or window. 

We've implemented a mapping of line width (on paper) to number of pixels wide on screen to give you a pseudo-WYSIWYG experience.  Wider lines get more pixels.  Hidden lines will get 1 pixel, while the outer border of the template gets 4 pixels, and most lines are in-between. 

My question:  Are you having more of a problem with how wide things look on screen than with how they look on paper?   Do the widths look OK to you when you print them out? 

I will make another post here with more details on the mapping to pixel width, and explaining a workaround to modify your line widths on paper. 

• andy_boyerandy_boyer Member Posts: 4
    Jason and Jon,  thanks for the input.  It appears that the problem manifests itself worse on screen - when previewed or printed the lines get better, but still are thicker than the eye really wants.  Having more precise control over the line widths, not yet a feature, is the kind of improvement I'd desire and I think I understand that will eventually come. 

• GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Same issue here with line thickness. I have a drawing of an assembly at a scale of 1:25 and when printed the lines are so thick that the drawing is unreadable. I end up having to export a parasolid to Vectorworks and then recreate the drawing there.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @guy_4 Can you use the feedback tool in the product to submit a ticket for this and share the doc with support if possible?
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    I will when the job is over but at the moment I'm under NDAa
    @guy_4 Understood.  If it's possible you could also create a simple case that represents your issue without affecting your NDA.
  • zac_jeckellzac_jeckell Member Posts: 4
    Has there been any updates to allow users to modify line attributes in the drawing? Not just line width but color is also important for me. I need to print photonegative parts with white lines and solid black fill/hatch.