Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Going crazy with onshape moving my objects.

scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
When I add a radius and change the dimension of the radius onshape decides I need to move my line over some arbitrary amount instead of shortening both lines the required amount for the radius.   Now another issue when I am adding a line in a sketch, wherever I stop my line and then enter a dimension, it doesn't make it that length from the start point, it makes it that length from the end point!  So it screws up my sketch.  I can't seem to escape whatever mode this thing is in.  Man this stuff is frustrating.  

Answers

• Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Ground the points you don't want moving.
  • Options
    scott_caskeyscott_caskey Member Posts: 53 PRO
    Why would it suddenly start doing this? Heck, why would it ever do that?  Nobody draws a line starting from a point then enters a value and expects the length to be from the ending point. 
  • Options
    billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 77 PRO
    Stick with it. It will click for you. Your goal should be to get all of your vertices and lines black. Anything not black is not fully constrained and has freedom to move about. Fortunately you're learning with onshape because its sketch solver is amazing. I find it just so much more well behaved than the other cad packages I have used.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    If sketch entities aren't constrained, then when one is changed Onshape attempts to change the others in the proportion that the entities were first drawn in.  For example, draw 2 lines that intersect and make the 1st line approximately twice the length of the second line.  If you then dimension one of the lines to a specific length, the length of the other will approximately double so as to maintain the original proportion.  It actually makes sense once you get used to it but can still be a surprise at times.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    You can work around this mostly useful autoscale by adding approximate dimensions and when finished figure just edit dimensions / make some of them driven to follow the design.

Autoscale only takes place when adding the first dimension of sketch.

I too think Onshape has the best sketcher in the industry, after two years of use (and many updates) I don't have any major complaints.
    //rami