Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cloud based 3D printing Workflow

christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
edited May 2017 in Community Support
Hello everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a 3D printer and I am wondering if some of the experts can help me out in my unique situation.

Probably 90% of the work I do I am able to perform it on a Chromebook so I rarely pull my windows machine out anymore. I am trying to find a workflow I can use without having to use a PC. Most 3D printers I am looking at come with and SD card reader and they say they accept an STL or g-code format. I have not seen any documentation of videos on directly printing an STL file on a 3D printer. If anyone has done this I would like to hear your experience. Most examples I have seen are printing g-code directly from the SD card. Most workflows I have seen start with an STL file, then on a PC or Mac they run a slicing program which outputs to a g-code file and then this is transferred to the printer via the SD card.

Getting the stl file from Onshape has worked great for me and I have not had any problems with these files. However, it seems like I need a web based solution that can read in the STL file and export a g-code file. Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this?

I saw in the App Store an app called Slicer that seems to make the slices but it only outputs to png files so I have know idea what that is used for.

Thanks for your help!
Christopher

Best Answer

Answers