Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - May 24th, 2017

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
edited May 2017 in New in Onshape
This latest update is heavily biased towards Drawings and our ongoing efforts to add more tools for creating complex geometry. As always, our development is driven by you, so please keep those Improvement Requests coming by posting your ideas in the Improvement Requests category on the right of this forum. Let's dig in!

LOFT WITH PATH

You can now control the shape of a loft using a Path. Intermediate sections added at regular intervals along the Path create a smooth transition between each Profile. The number of intermediate sections affects the smoothness of the loft.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/h802gyktt0?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

SHOW CURVATURE

You can now show the curvature of all sketch entities, curves, and model edges to check for inflections, tangency and curvature continuity.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/mq910ydqyo?embedType=async&videoWidth=640 

NAMED VIEWS IN DRAWINGS

You can now use Named Views to place a view in your drawing. This is ideal for when you you want to create a view of a specific feature or you need to reorient your drawing views differently from your model views.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ii59t3y5nf?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

CUSTOM SHEET SIZES

You can now edit a Drawing's sheet properties and create a custom size. All borders and title blocks will resize and move to fit.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9gydksunwg?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

FORMAT LOCK, TABLE GRIP POINTS AND VIEW UPDATES

You can now lock a drawing format to prevent any accidental changes to the title block or drawing borders. Tables have new grip points specifically for moving and resizing which make it much easier to size and position tables on your drawings. Existing views now stay on the screen longer during a drawing update to make it easier to visualize the changes to the drawing.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/u4ytu1l2tk?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

EDITING GTOL FRAMES

You can now remove the last frame in a geometric tolerance to make editing easier. The Composite option now adheres to standards, only permitting its use with True Position, Profile (Surface), and Profile (Line).

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/nsrxvx2s6w?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

SELECTION FILTER FOR SHEET METAL FILLET AND CHAMFER

Onshape will now filter out all sheet metal edges that cannot be filleted or chamfered. This makes it much easier and faster to select the small corner edges.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1eq3nx0zod?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

RECENT CHANGES NOTIFICATION

If somebody has made changes to a Document since you last opened it, a notification will let you know and highlight each of the changes in the Versions and History flyout.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/94bv0n3txa?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

FILTER ADVANCED SEARCH RESULTS BY VERSION OR WORKSPACE

The advanced search capability added recently lets you search within your Documents to find Parts, Assemblies and Drawings based on Name, Description, Part number, State and Revision. A new "Results from" field now lets you filter your search results to display content by Workspace and/or Versions and to display all Versions or just the latest. This is particularly useful when searching Documents containing numerous Versions to help you quickly find the Part, Assembly or Drawing you're looking for. 

GRAPHICS PERFORMANCE

Onshape now automatically reduces the level of detail on screen when rotating large assemblies with lots of parts to increase interactive graphics performance.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1jilg34ihn?embedType=async&videoWidth=640

ASSEMBLY SECTION VIEW PERFORMANCE IN DRAWINGS

Creating a section view in a Drawing of a large assembly is now significantly faster.

IMPORTING SPLINES IN DXF FILES

Onshape is now more tolerant when importing DXF and DWG files which contain splines with discontinuities. More complex imported profiles can now be used in sketches to create other downstream features such as Extrude and Revolve.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and let us know what you think!  

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.
Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Great update! Special thanks for
    1. Named Views in Drawings
    2. Recent Changed Notification
    3. Table Lock and size change
    4. Loft Path
    5. Assembly performance

• billyzelsnackbillyzelsnack Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Looks like Sketch->Insert DXF is stilling having an issue on my coreldraw exported DXF files.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5f57a1324ecbaf04ca6a5f78/w/c2be780bedd176ed489d472b/e/e195562e764d93c098daf479
    What's strange is that it opens up in a drawing just fine other than a crazy initial zoom.

• chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    Great additions!
  • stephanus_petrus_mentzstephanus_petrus_mentz Member Posts: 3
    Hi Onshape

Great additions as mentioned above! Keep up the good work!

Kind Regards
    Stephanus Mentz
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Great list of improvements. Thank you very much Onshape team 
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    specifying view orientation for drawing is one of the most expected enchancements, but it is strangely related to the part studio as a whole, instead of have a specific orientation of main views for each part independently. i apprehend that list of named views would be a little messy if part studio has more than one part with non standart orientation
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    FILTER ADVANCED SEARCH RESULTS BY VERSION OR WORKSPACE

+1

That was needed....

I've got one library that's up to V44 now.  Sifting through that long list got to be annoying real quick.

Thanks!!

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great list of Improvements.  I was surprised to see this improvements announcement jump up on the screen when logging in.

I am really enjoying the drawing improvements. These are exactly what I need, hoping to see weld notes come in really soon too.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Simon_HobbsSimon_Hobbs Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Thanks to the Onshape Team for these improvements. Love the regular updates and notifications. Keep going!
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 517
    I wanted to point out a smaller but still useful improvement we made with dimensions in Onshape drawings.  Now upon placing dimensions the dimension panel icon is immediately available to interact with.  A user can hover on the icon and we open it for you.  If you don't click to place focus on the dimension panel, then a hover out of the dimension panel will close it, but still show the dim panel icon.  You can hover back on it to get back in.  It's important to note that this is all happening within the current dimension tool - so at any time you can keep placing dimensions.

Also of note; If you double click on a dimension we will fire the dimension panel with focus placed in it.  When focus is placed in the dimension panel, then your cursor can be anywhere on the drawing and the panel will stay open.  We make the assumption that you have been deliberate in intending to change something via the dimension panel, and don't want a hover out to close it too easily.  When focus is on the panel, then a click outside the panel or a press of the escape key will close it.  See the animated GIF:

• PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Nice list of updates
    My # 1 was custom sheet sizes <3 .
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 517
    @glen_dewsbury You must design/make a lot of large parts then?
  • amCADamCAD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    So glad about the graphics optimization.
    I briefly tested this on a couple "heavy" public models and it looks like it really makes a difference. :)
  • don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Awesome updates. I really like the custom sheet size. Is there an option to create a blank sheet with no borders or title blocks?
  • Steven_BullSteven_Bull Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Fantastic updates! Particularly like the "named view>create drawing view" workflow, it was a clunky work-around before... Excellent Product!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited May 2017
    I was afraid there's nothing for me when you said it's heavily biased towards drawings but this is one of the best updates in 2017!

- Named views in drawings finally makes drawings usefull for me too
    - Document search can now be actually used
    - Graphics performance just got awesome and gives a whole new meaning for a laptop*

*I was just in exhibition and needed to show my 3D factory layout to machine maker, I immediately told that it might not respond using a laptop but that I would try. Model with 120739 faces, 4193985 triangles, 257411 edges and 1104949 lines runs now smoothly on Thinkpad X1!! Amazing surprise as I didn't know there was update pushed in until now =)
    //rami
  • RahinsooRahinsoo Member Posts: 6
    Awesome!! My favorite updates with the curves. I think Onshape should continue to improve surface models ;) 
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Graphics performance is really good.

This assembly was on the edge with an older version of SW.

OS, with this latest version, is handling this with ease.

• chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
    Named views in Drawings is a great added feature! It lets the organic growth of a concept happen and when it is time to make a print you aren't tied to the original cartesian views.
    Keep rocking out!
  • jon_woellhafjon_woellhaf Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    You made another couple small changes -- at least I think it was Onshape that made them all.

1) I no longer have to click my name before clicking "Sign in."

2) As long as Chrome is open, I can close and reopen Onshape without having to again sign in.

3) "Shaded without edges" now looks GREAT! Exactly how I wanted it to look.

Thanks!

All your improvements are great.