Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Major and Minor Axis show while sketching an Ellipse? A "Nice to Have"?

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
Hello! Just wondering if anyone thinks this would be a "Nice to Have" update? The major and minor axis of an ellipse are automatically created as the ellipse is drawn in a sketch. (As construction lines?) Use these to orient the ellipse and have vertices for a loft.

Comments

• alan_89alan_89 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Hmmm I gave some feedback via the question mark on this too as adding relations to restrict the angle requires construction geometry at the moment i believe, I'd prefer anything like that to be optional as per rectangles in SOLIDWORKS  as i dislike visual clutter and that seems to be a focus for Onshape too. For me i'd like to hover over the ellipse to see its axis and then be able to easily set it horizontal or vertical by picking the axis/centre. Certainly would be nice to be able to add the centrelines easily though as i do find myself adding them quite often in SOLIDWORKS also when i want to set an ellipse at an angle for some more complex parts. 
  • christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    As I said, a "Nice to Have". That was one of the update classifications back when I was inside Caterpillar when they brought Pro/E onboard. Maybe it could be a "User Preference" setting or a "Check box"/"Pull down menu choice" in Sketch. Every time I have drawn an ellipse I have needed an axis line to control the angle. Hmm...maybe there is an "inferred" horizontal when sketching. I must "unlearn" some things at times!
  • fred_talbotfred_talbot Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Solidworks and OnShape models cylinders cut at an angle as ellipses; And cones cut at an angle as ellipses; Cylinders have 1 axis, and a cone cut at other than a right angle to its axis forms an ellipse that has two 'virtual or possible axes' that get farther apart as the angle gets farther from a right angle, one of the two points coincides with the axis of the described cone (sometimes called foci, the two focus points of the ellipse.) We vote for this addition as it is a stepping in point for trying the waters of geometry on earth!
  • chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
    This thread is coming close to hyperbola................ :D