Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Get me started on this Sink Design

KrysKrys Member Posts: 9
edited March 2015 in Using Onshape
I am trying to design a sink for my bathroom remodel which I will cut on my CNC machine. Problem is I have no idea how to do this design the sink in this picture. I can easily make a rectangle sink with a rectangle hole, but the curve from the surface down to the drain is the problem. I am not even sure what to google. 

thanks in advance

Comments

• KrysKrys Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Additional Details: I plan to carve the sink and the countertop all out of one piece of material that is 36" wide and about 12" from front to back. The sink will be about 4" deep.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Something like this? https://cad.onshape.com/documents/74b74f0b649e4e95ad6bc367/w/80af11ce5cb8400f8d436252/e/f7cfe341105047afbe8af153

The sides are vertical and I imagine you'd want them on a bit of an angle, but this should be a good starting point...

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    I would start with a box that is roughly the dimensions you want (36" wide, 12" front to back, and 6ish" deep).  I would make this box symmetric about one of the default planes (Front, Top, or Right).  I would then sketch the cross-section profile of the sink and use that to remove it from the box again by removing it symmetric from the default planes.  Then to make it thin I would use a shell on the side and bottom faces leaving the profile you wanted as thin as the shell.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2015
    @FastwayJim I like how you have left a big cutter radius on the inner edges of your model. By the photo I reacon there is all so a slight taper on the side faces which could be done with the draft command.

@Kyrs it would be great to see some pic's of the whole process from Onshape to bathroom.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Dang you guys are fast. I will see if I can piece it together by what @jramlseywrote combined with the model that @FastwayJimshared. 

@BruceBartlett if I can get this thing modeled I would be happy to post a video of the actual product.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Krys said:
    Dang you guys are fast. I will see if I can piece it together by what @jramlseywrote combined with the model that @FastwayJimshared. 

@BruceBartlett if I can get this thing modeled I would be happy to post a video of the actual product.
    You can make your own private copy of what Jim did and deconstruct his feature list to see what he did.  

I've modeled up my approach too.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/49e93d7ca8ca45ebb1bb5cf1/w/321e231b774541d18a2d7fba/e/72b1649632f74afea1be2710
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    jramlsey said:
    Krys said:

You can make your own private copy of what Jim did and deconstruct his feature list to see what he did.  

I've modeled up my approach too.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/49e93d7ca8ca45ebb1bb5cf1/w/321e231b774541d18a2d7fba/e/72b1649632f74afea1be2710
    The only problem is, when I make my own private copy it seems to lose the history.... which is the part I really need to see to be able to learn what steps happened in what order, unless someone wants to make a video of the design process.
  • joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Krys,

What you need to do next is make this out of concrete... I have built a few of these integral sinks, using concrete. :)

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Couple of questions:

1) what material are you planning on machining this from?

2) what type of mill do you have?  How many axis?

3) what CAM software are you going to program this in?

4) are you planning on profiling the sink cavity?  Are you going to leave the bottom of the sink square or will you flip it over and then work the bottom?

5) what type of finish are you looking for?

Ill try and help you out with solid model  

Coleman said:
    Couple of questions:

1) what material are you planning on machining this from?

2) what type of mill do you have?  How many axis?

3) what CAM software are you going to program this in?

4) are you planning on profiling the sink cavity?  Are you going to leave the bottom of the sink square or will you flip it over and then work the bottom?

5) what type of finish are you looking for?

Ill try and help you out with solid model  

1) Planning to make this out of 4-6 layers of solid wood butcher block style, then coating it with some clear coat to seal it. This is just a powder bath in my house that doesn't get much traffic. 

2) I have a 3 axis 4' x 8' CNC router. Its a kit from CNC Router Parts

3) I will try to CAM this with Aspire/VCarve 8 which I should be able to do with no problems, I also have Autodesk Inventor which has HSMXpress CAM built in as a backup

4) Not sure what your asking. Probably leave the bottom alone, if I did end up doing both sides I will just have to set up a jig and flip each layer, but design wise I think I will like the look better if it just looks like a solid block of wood with a sink cut into it.

5) I plan to rough finish with a flat endmill, then do a nice finish pass with either a .25" ball nose or .5" ball nose depending on what I think will look best once the design is done. Glue all the layers together, sand, then stain the piece and add clear coat to seal it.

Thanks for pitching in, this is all just a side hobby/small money maker for me so it might take me a few weeks or so to complete (much faster with all you CAD experts pitching in).

Joe Dunne said:
    Krys,

What you need to do next is make this out of concrete... I have built a few of these integral sinks, using concrete. :)

@Joe Dunne  That is the plan for my outdoor barbeque/kitchen area.