Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

create a drawing based on a inclined plane

baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
I have created a plane (that is not parallel to the default planes like front etc. ) and created an part as an extrude from a sketch on that plane. 
Now I would like to create a drawing that is based on that drawing. I selected the part and picked the menu Create Drawing from part. I tried to select another plane then front, ..., bottom etc and tried also projected and auxiliary view, and read the documentation and videos, but I didn't find the hint where I could select the plane I created. 
The simplest use case is a roof. Or a even inclined cover mantling a part.
In order to create the part on e.g. a laser cutter the projections is not the thing needed. It should be the view that is orthogonal to that created plane. Is there a possibility to reference a plane created as the 'ground plan' for such a part?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Hi Jake, 
    Super! Worked perfect and easy! Right place, right time ( even Dr. John would agree ;-)
    Thanks a lot

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited July 2017
    Hello @baumar !

We have new functionality for this! You can create a named view in the orientation that you would like your drawing to respect, and then create a drawing view that reflects that named view.  Check out this post for instructions:
    https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tip-using-named-views-in-onshape
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Hi Jake, 
    Super! Worked perfect and easy! Right place, right time ( even Dr. John would agree ;-)
    Thanks a lot