Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can groups / assemblies be defined in a part studio

Daniel_OrchardDaniel_Orchard Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in Community Support
Just wondering if it is possible to define assemblies and sub assemblies from the part studio and be able to create drawings of these?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Daniel_OrchardDaniel_Orchard Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Thank you for the reply - I thought this was the case and as you said it is very quick to put the part studio into an assembly and then create sub assemblies from there - and they stay linked to the main assembly I found out - so I can move parts freely between assemblies and sub assemblies as I please without leaving the "Master" assembly - this is really powerful.
    Just need to figure out how to number the parts and assemblies without replacing them as instances. :smiley:  This is a challenge for later.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    By number without replacing instance do you mean rename the part? Or do you mean replace the duplicates in an assembly?

If renaming: you can change the part names in the studio at anytime and everything updates. 

If you mean replacing duplicate parts: this you will need to do manually using mates in the assembly.

• Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
     Just remember you can create a new sub-assembly within your main assembly when you're finished and ready to make a print.

On your sheet just insert a view and select your newly made sub-assembly.  

You have to keep in mind though that you cannot window select things that are already in assemblies (or patterns). You need to pick those from the tree. (patterns need to be re-made in the new sub-assembly) 

Hope that makes sense.....