Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Document Page Thumbnails -- Why Do They Change?

I have noticed that the thumbnails showing the part or model on the document page change from a view of the part studio to a view of the drawing. Is there a reason for this and can I set the view? 

Thanks

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi Richard, the thumbnail is of the last thing modified. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I don't like them changing to the drawings or jpg, I much prefer to see a 3d model as the image. Ideally, I'd put the top assembly in the product's structure on the first tab and that would show as the image. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Sounds like an enhancement request to specify an element (tab) that is to be used as the default thumbnail ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    @richard_worsham

Please vote for this enhancement request here : https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/30180#Comment_25086
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @Paul_J_Premakumarthat seems to be a discussion thread not an IR?

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • richard_worshamrichard_worsham Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Thanks for the answers on this. I wouldn't mind if the thumbnail actually updated from the last thing you were working on, but in my experience it seems to do so randomly. Personally, I too would like it to just be a view of the part studio. Seeing a view of the drawing at that scale really isn't helpful.
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    @owen_sparks : You are right. Thanks for pointing it out.

@richard_worsham: Sorry for the bad information. You can create a new improvement request here : https://forum.onshape.com/categories/improvement-voting or file a ticket with support. They'll be able to create a ticket for us. Your inputs help us prioritize the features we need to work on.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Here's a different way to find documents, parts, assemblies & drawings. 

https://rndengineering.com/nav/

It might become a  more permanent thing in the near future.

• rian_wendlingrian_wendling Member Posts: 5 PRO
    The thumbnail seems to change to something I don't want and remain that way. It isn't based off the last change. I have a document that I've changed hundreds of time and it has a thumbnail of a part that I imported to make an assembly. The thumbnail is of something that has never changed.