Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mate Connector tips

Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
Trying out some functionality, can anyone tell me if the video plays in your browser and if not can you let me know your Operating system, browser type? I am trying to find out the most universally accepted video type. Right now the MOV is the only type that autoplays in my browser.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4893f43ffb6c4955bb03d9ef/w/b072e6b39a244dd7903178d2/e/6c358725849d43d291c0ebbc
Tagged:

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I saw it, I had to load the quicktime plugin 1st.

Nice video, no floating mating connectors between body instances? I hope this was registered as a bug.
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Ben thanks for the tutorial. First: what a nice idea to put the video right in the Onshape document. When we designed this we knew people would come up with all kinds of great uses -- but we didn't think of this one. Really helpful since Mate Connectors and High Level Mates are things that users will need to learn about -- different from other CAD they have used. Hope you like them. We are in the process of changing their UI and a bit to make them more understandable.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Viewing on ipad, can't get past the log in screen
  • gal_razgal_raz Member, Mentor Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Google Chrome. Can see it inside the browser. saw it with WMP. Don't have quicktime
    Gal Raz
  • Ed_DanzerEd_Danzer Member, Mentor Posts: 13
    Nothing shows.

I'm using Widows 8.1 Pro and Chrome
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited September 2014
    Videos would need to be in H.264 encoding @ben and be mp4 so HTML5 can play them. Should work in the browser. As far as logging into the UI with Safari or any browser that doesn't support WebGL, you will have issues for now. We will release mobile apps to address this access later.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    gol10dr said:

...As far as logging into the UI with Safari or any browser that doesn't support WebGL, you will have issues for now. We will release mobile apps to address this access later.

iOS 8 has WebGL enabled. Would OS work in a browser then?

Dries
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    DriesV said:

gol10dr said:

...As far as logging into the UI with Safari or any browser that doesn't support WebGL, you will have issues for now. We will release mobile apps to address this access later.

iOS 8 has WebGL enabled. Would OS work in a browser then?

Dries
    It does, and so does Chrome Beta for Android. That will allow you to load the ui however we have not yet added listeners into the web application to wait for touch so you will see rotation and zoom will not do anything with touch events currently. I have a Nexus 7 and a Google Pixel that I test with and the touch is not yet working. Not to worry.. I am keeping everyone in dev aware of device types of use ;-)
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Video on the internet is still a drag. I find using mp4 with H.264 created using handbrake with web optimized the best option for robust videos that play everywhere.

• Aaron_Easton_NickovichAaron_Easton_Nickovich Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Unfortunately this picture shows all I can see here. I use Chrome on Windows 7.
    Mov. That is going to need iTunes or QuickTime to view. Should use MP4 with h.264 encode.
  • Phil_HertelPhil_Hertel Member Posts: 5
    Using Chrome with Quicktime plugin = cannot view the video.
    Not sure. Will have to see what @ben did.
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    Ok Ill go in and re-address this tomorrow
    edited October 2014
    I ran Ben's video through handbrake to see if it works better:

video

Video on the internet is frustrating and I'll try to explain what's going on. I've been frustrated with this for many years.

mp4 is a html5 video standard that should allow all devices & browsers to view a video on the web. Turns out the compression algorithm is where the problem occurs. The guys that wrote .h264 are holding browser companies hostage for $1,000,000 each. Microsoft paid it, google did not, not sure what firefox did. One day videos stopped working in chrome.

Google ended up buying a competitor to the .h264 guys and opened sourced this acquisition. So which compression algorithm should you use? Hell I don't know.

I read handbrake (a video conversion tool) uses the most compliant compression algorithms for video sharing on the web. I run chrome and since I run my videos through handbrake they work inside chrome and most other places without issues.

This was about 6 months ago, I now think things have changed and maybe theres a better way to produce a sharable video.

BTW .mov is an apple standard and works inside safari. Chrome has to load a quicktime addin to view. The . mov worked in the 32bit version of Chrome after downloading the quicktime addin. I've moved on to the 64bit version of chrome, after reading Joe Dunn's post, which will not show the video and doesn't download the quicktime extension.

I hope this helps with posting videos, please post more videos,

FYI I turn autoplay off on my website by choice so this won't work. More accurately, the video tag has this option turned off. I don't think you'll be able to post to OS and turn this on. You'll have to add a OS "feedback" and ask that they play a video document on load. This could be obnoxious if you had 2 videos because they would both start playing. I think it's best to start a video after load.

OMG I only have 14 minutes left to edit this forum post..... I guess if it's the 1st document (left most) this one could play automatically.