Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Purging parts and assemblies from Assembly Tab

Is it possible to remove or delete parts or sub-assemblies from an Assembly Tab?

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    If you mean to actually remove the original, answer would be no.

And that's a good thing because they can be linked into multiple assemblies. You can choose 'move to ..' for quick access to ps/sub-assy
    //rami
  • Options
    david_buchanandavid_buchanan Member Posts: 3
    I have accumulated a number of imported components in an assembly that are not now needed, and would like to get rid of them. I tried the 'move to ..' command in the right click menu but that just generates a new tab and then buries the component under a new 'Assembly' label in the Assembly List, and does not remove the component. I have been able to delete one part that came from a multi-part Part Studio, without having to go the Part Studio.

I have just started to use the Derived tool to get components into a Part Studio. Maybe a solution would be to configure a Part Studio for any components that are inserted into an Assembly, then later the component could just be deleted from the Part Studio to update the Assembly without leaving extra components in the Tab.

I still think it would be nice to be able to delete components that are no longer required in an Assembly. However, Onshape is Great and is becoming a very sophisticated and usable choice for design work. Thanks.

• Options
    david_buchanandavid_buchanan Member Posts: 3
    Alright, I was just messing around with the Assembly noted above, and after using 'Move To ...', and getting another sub assembly tab, but having the original component still present and nested in the Assembly List, I just deleted the new Sub Assembly Tab, which eliminated the component from the original Assembly, and turned the new Sub Assembly listing in the Assembly List red. I could then delete the red listing in the Assembly List. So it looks like un-needed sub-assemblies and parts can be purged from a top level Assembly Tab.
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    @david_buchanan
    Is this what you are looking for?

• Options
    Sorry, I wrote wrong word - with 'move to..' I meant 'Switch to..' for quick access to ps/subassy.

@lana
    Delete just removes part from assembly but leaves it into part studio. If I have understood correctly @david_buchanan want's to completely delete part using higher level assembly workspace.

To be honest I see so many problems in actually deleting part from assembly workspace that I don't even wan't to think how it could work if there were such feature available. I suggest using 'Switch to..' and delete un-necessary parts using part studio.

David, can you please specify if you wan't to remove part from current assembly or if you are looking for removing part completely?
    //rami
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited April 2017
    I have a similar issue and would be grateful for some help or opinions.

I'm building a bit of test equipment and have a bunch of assemblies, one of which is the cabinet it's going in.

I've built the cabinet as one assembly, in it's own document as I'll reuse it for multiple projects, and then imported this assy into my project doc.

In this specific project I don't want to use some of the rails that come with the cabinet as they get in the way.

So my question is why having inserted the full cabinet assy into my test equipment document can't I delete the unwanted rails from my project assembly? 

I know I could get rid of them in the original cabinet assy, but that's exactly what I don't want to do as they will be required for other projects.

I could just hide the unwanted parts but presumably having all these unwanted parts that I can't remove will mean the BOM will be wrong, when I get to that bit?

I must be missing something!

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @owen_sparks since we cant copy assembly documents and can't suppress parts from subassemblies the only solution i see - create a new a branch for cabenet document, and suppress those parts in it's assembly
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @konstantin_shiriazdano, I hadn't thought of that, sounds like as good a plan as any  :)

Thankyou.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Yep, all you need is version of cabinet without rails and you can always select which one you need..
    //rami
  • Options
    oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    I have a similar issue and would be grateful for some help or opinions.

I'm building a bit of test equipment and have a bunch of assemblies, one of which is the cabinet it's going in.

I've built the cabinet as one assembly, in it's own document as I'll reuse it for multiple projects, and then imported this assy into my project doc.

In this specific project I don't want to use some of the rails that come with the cabinet as they get in the way.

So my question is why having inserted the full cabinet assy into my test equipment document can't I delete the unwanted rails from my project assembly? 

I know I could get rid of them in the original cabinet assy, but that's exactly what I don't want to do as they will be required for other projects.

I could just hide the unwanted parts but presumably having all these unwanted parts that I can't remove will mean the BOM will be wrong, when I get to that bit?

I must be missing something!

Cheers,

Owen S.
    @owen_sparks

Unfortunately, there is no way to mark Part not to be extracted to BOM at the moment. However, if you will be using some naming convention, you can filter and delete them pretty quick in openBoM when you already created a BOM. Don't sync it with Onshape and release BOM, so you will have a well formed BOM. I know it is a bit of trick, but it can work. 

In parallel, we are planning to introduce something similar to "Exclude from BOM" flag in openBoM in the future.