Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I continue the extrude of a smaller tube into a larger tube?

gyrexgyrex Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited August 2017 in Community Support
Hi guys,

I have a tube which I am trying to extrude in a concave fashion into a larger diameter tube but I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried loft but it complains about the selection having an inner selection. I've attached an image below.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

My document is here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/103df7df35e7f8b79d212ded/w/6b205c965461e2886eab2c08/e/019bab8de258b3667687b65e

Best Answers

Answers

• daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited August 2017 Answer ✓
    I drew two lines on each sketch to break the ring into to pieces and then made two separate lofts for each half.  Perhaps it's a bit greasy, but it got the job done.   

Perhaps a better strategy would be to draw the cross section of the part from the front plane and use a revolve to make the part

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/304888033b5f092d2259f0ae/w/839ecc2e9e26619b83473c43/e/c5b9ede1d434e8f227a7fc9f
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,883 PRO
    Answer ✓
    +1 to revolve

If you had the fore-sight to know this taper was required at the beginning. It would most likely be a good candidate to have the entire profile of the tube and flange revolved from the same sketch.

But there is nothing wrong with adding this on later as a design change, especially if you already have references to your tube body.
  • gyrexgyrex Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, I went with the revolve option :)
  • gyrexgyrex Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions, as usual, the OnShape forums are a wealth of knowledge and I really appreciate the help. In the end, I went for my first revolve :) I really need to watch some more videos on how to use CAD instead of trying to figure out my way around it by myself...
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,883 PRO
    edited August 2017
    There are a lot of good videos on the onshape youtube chennel. But there are so many methods of doing the same thing. It's good to practice using different ways. Then attempt to edit them or break them (turn red). See which ways are easier for you to draw and modify. And get a feel for all of the tools.

Even something as simple as this, you got a few different answers to the same problem. All of them are correct. It's more important to understand how hard it would be to edit them after you have other parts attached either in a part studio or in an assembly.

https://youtu.be/tPS51xas30k

Has a lot of pro tips