Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Free Users in a company

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
Is there a way to have free accounts linked to a company or team?

There are accounts we want for not-cad users (CNC / Laser / Sales) that can view only or download parasolids of documents, but we don't want them to edit anything. So it sounds like a free account to me. So we shouldn't have to pay for them.

Is this possible?

Best Answer

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    One thing to note about public users with view access to private documents. They cannot measure :(

I'm going to put in an improvement request for this later. But it would be nice if they could do more than spin the model. (I understand you don't always want people to measure your models) so I'm going to request this as an option.

Thanks

Good to know we can have the free accounts linked to a team for easy sharing!
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    The measure tool is always active for Onshape documents. If you click on an edge, look to the bottom right of your screen and you should see a measurement available. In the image below, I see the radius measurement of the cylindrical face I've selected. 

If you do not see this please let us know and fill out a feedback ticket.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

Not for public accounts viewing private documents
  • abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Public / free accounts can still measure in private documents. If you're seeing otherwise, that's a bug.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
    Could be a bug.
    But to be honest I would prefer the option to turn measure on and off anyways. (there are times you don't want someone to measure)

Could be part of the share drop down:
    Can View
    Can Edit
    Can Measure
    ect..

And I was on the phone with "I forgot his name"  and he was aware of the fact you can't measure and said it was working as intended.
    Which I agree it would be a higher level of privacy / security. And is worth having. But in the end I need the ability to add measure (like eDrawings can)
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would like to allow showing sketches/dimensions and after a while I would like to allow selecting configurations too. All these options for sharing with free user / share using public link.
    //rami
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited August 2017
    My measure tool works on private docs opened in a free account and also the share link on a guest browser. I am not sure we need to go as far as having a restriction to measure, although it may mean more open sharing. 

With the shared link I prefer if you could switch tabs viewer off, that way you can direct the shop floor to the drawings, assy, dxf, etc you want and they don't go searching through the tabs that may be irrelevant to them. Maybe even a tick box on the tabs you share. It would be also great to share a single part and not the whole part studio. Just some ideas.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @bradley_sauln @abefeldman You mentioned adding a free account into a team which is great, can are free account be added to a Company? 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    @brucebartlett
    I usually create separate doc for sharing and link certain version of part/assembly for share. This way I don't accidentally share something I didn't mean to (or forget that my doc is shared while I continue with the design).

@all
    I don't understand why I was voted down with showing dimensions possibility, don't your non-cad clients need a simple way to show predefined dimensions rather than investigating the model with measurement tool? I would actually like to have a button with label "Show dimensions" that would popup predefined dimensions for free user share / public link.
    //rami
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    @bradley_sauln @abefeldman You mentioned adding a free account into a team which is great, can are free account be added to a Company? 
    A Public Onshape account can't be added to a Company at this time. A Company in Onshape allows for Professional users to have centralized billing, ownership, and properties.

The Onshape Company my group has set up allows for standard parts and projects to be shared among the Professional users and then teams for vendors, marketing, sales, and a machine shop. The teams include a mix of Public users who just need access to the data and other Professionals outside of our company.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

Yep, free read-only users are definitely part of flawless cad team in company. They should see all documents owned by the company. Otherwise we are forced to share screenshots, 3dpdfs and other crap that always gets outdated and fills everyones inbox.
    //rami
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, a company should be able to add free users (non-CAD users) so they can see the files of the company, and add comments

In addition to that, there are 2 improvements that I would like to see in share options and teams:
    • Create teams without visibility. 
    Currently If you are member of a team you can see all the other members. But sometimes you might want to create a team and keep the list of members hidden. I would share a document with a team "Laser cut providers" but I don't want that "Provider A" know that the document is also shared with "Provider B, C, and D"
    • Can view + Edit properties. 
    Sometimes I would like to share a document with "Can view" plus "Edit properties" instead of give edition rights in a document.
    This could be very useful to:
    1. Share a document with a manager or project manager, who is a non-CAD user but who should approve the design and change the status of the parts and asemblies.
    2. Share a document with manufacturing, purchase department or the warehouse manager, so they can add or the edit information in the properties
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • jonathan_monettejonathan_monette Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Can I set a free user as an approver?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Hi @jonathan_monette - free users can view and comment only. In order for a user to be involved in a workflow they must be able to edit a document and have release management capabilities which is available in Onshape Professional. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    @NeilCooke
    So um, should I request more functionality for free users or making Onshape Professional free 🙄🤔
    //rami
    edited March 2019
    @3dcad I don’t think an IR will solve this conundrum. Free users in a company (manufacturing, procurement, etc.) already have more capability than traditional CAD/PDM. For example, SolidWorks PDM viewers come in a 5-pack for $3000 plus $1000 subs. Onshape Enterprise approvers can be “light” users at a considerably reduced price. 
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NeilCooke Yes, but “light” users are only available for Onshape Enterprise (>20.000 $), not for Onshape Professional.
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Ivan_DeetlefsIvan_Deetlefs Member Posts: 23 PRO
    Is it just me or is the ability to share a document to a free user (e.g. manufacturing vendors) not possible anymore? We have an enterprise subscription btw. When I try to share under "Individuals" I simply can't click on the "Share" icon. When I try to share via "Invite guests" I get the following message: "No subscriptions available to invite guests". I would find it really frustrating if I had to pay for a light account for every guest that I want to invite (specifically for companies that only need viewing rights for quoting purposes, these companies are usually large in number). I know I can download every pdf or 3D model but it is way more convenient to send a link. Any clarification would b appreciated.
    Hi @Ivan_Deetlefs - it is not possible to share data with users outside of an Enterprise account. This is by design, to provide Enterprise customers with additional levels of security. External users must therefore be invited in as guests. Somebody from Onshape will be in touch to explain your options.