Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Properties of Part Studio Variables

michael_mcdonald047michael_mcdonald047 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I just started a new part studio named Bolts where I plan to model several bolt types.  First and foremost I created several variables within the part studio.  They originally all appeared in the tree preceded by a label like "Variable #myVar" as expected.  After several edits, including renaming some of the variables, the format of the tree labels for about half of the variables changed to exclude the word "Variable".  They just look like "#myVar".  I have logged out and back in, edited the values, and clicked [Final] in the variable edit dialog several times without seeing what makes the difference.

As I write, I wonder if the ones without the word "Variable" in the label are the ones that were created with other variable names and renamed since.  I will test that theory here shortly.  In the meantime, can someone tell me what the [Final] button in the edit variable dialog box is for?  Does it make the variable a constant?  Does it prevent scripts from assigning values to it?  How can I tell which are marked as final and which are not?

Thanks,

Michael
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    THe change to variable name (and added type) came with the update this week. Your older variables were created before the update. 

The final button shows you the final regenerated part Studio so you can stay editing the current feature and see what effect your feature edits have on the final model. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    michael_mcdonald047michael_mcdonald047 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Thank you very much Neil.