Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

to create intersection lines

I often need to create an axis on the intersection of two planes.To do so, is it necessary to create a sketch and a line in the sketch, or is it possible to just select the planes and say "create construction line" and you get a kind of "3D rectilinear curve"?

And same question for an intersection curve. Is it possible to create a plane curve that is for example the intersection of a plane and a face?

And finally, is it possible to create a 3D curve at the intersection of two faces?

Philippe
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @philippe_marin - good morning!
    Why do you need to create an 'axis'? In Onshape, exes are defined by circular edges, cylindrical faces and conical faces.
    It is possible to create a custom feature that would create a (finite) construction line at the intersection of two curves (you would need  some way to define the length of the line and its starting point).
    Yes you can generate the 3D curve at the intersection of two faces - i will make an example a little later.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • philippe_marinphilippe_marin Member Posts: 26 EDU
    Good evening Philip (here it is evening now, I don't know for you ;-) )
    Sorry for the lack of politeness in my first message  :/
    My question is not critical at all!
    What I call "axis" is any construction line that I need to place in 3D space. Such a line is often for me a way to build a new plane with a given orientation respect to other references, in order to sketch a new shape.
    For example in the picture below , I built "Plane 1" with an angle from Top plane, after having drawn a line on the intersection of Top and Right planes.
    To draw this line I had to create a sketch, but it would have been just a bit easier if I could select the planes and ask for the intersection line.
    As you can see it is not critical, and may be it is possible in fact (?)

Waiting for the example on how to create the intersection curve of 2 faces.
    Best regards.

• philippe_marinphilippe_marin Member Posts: 26 EDU
    Yes this sounds good. And I suppose this procedure could be in some way automated through a feature script.
     Thanks a lot!
  • christoph_hessechristoph_hesse Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I have the same question as the thread starter, and I find the answer very complicated and not satisfying. In autodesk inventor, main axes (x,y,z) are simply available for use in 3d construction, for instance for rotational symmetry, aligning parts direction etc. With one command, you can intersect two planes to create a new 3d axis there. Creating an axis based on the intersection of parts, as shown above, involves overly many steps. It is also not intuitive to have to create a sketch, which is mostly used to create a physical object, as a workaround to create another construction element in 3d space, an axis. Why not add "create axis from intersection of two planes" in the dropdown menu where "Plane" is?
  • SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    @philippe_marin - sorry for the delay - here is a sample document showing one method (of probably 10 possible workflows) for generating a curve at the intersection of two parts.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/efd0992d6d2c2ccee6f411ee/w/33287e306380be0835442509/e/fff389a174dba44d7b099eb3

I hope this helps :)

Its telling me I don't have permission to view this document.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 692
    @SethF
     That is very strange, The document is public and opened for me with no issues. Could you please try again, if it fails to open, post a snapshot with error message here. Thank you.
    edited August 2021
    @lana
    It's working now. I haven't figured out completely whats going on, but its something with the way I log in with the enterprise license. If I go from our enterprise it doesn't work. If I login to cad.onshape.com first, then it works fine.

I'll try to remember to take a screenshot if it happens again.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    @SethF your Enterprise Administrator must enable access to Public Docs for this to work (it’s off by default). 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Thanks, @NeilCooke!