Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What does "sketch curves to extrude" mean??

marc_cawoodmarc_cawood Member Posts: 6
edited September 2017 in Community Support
So I'm battling to split a part which I want to print in two colors.

I guess I need a surface (in my case a cylinder) to separate my solid cylinder into two parts but I am unable to generate any kind of surface extrusion.

If I try to extrude a circle into a cylinder I select my line sketch and then extrude -> Surface onshape just shows "sketch curves to extrude" (in blue and green - which sounds better than red) but does not extrude at all and I am unable to proceed. If I click OK nothing happens.

Same thin if I try to extrude a simple line into a plane (see pic). 

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi Marc, you need to physically select the line or circle on screen when extruding a surface. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • marc_cawoodmarc_cawood Member Posts: 6
    Hi Neil,
    I would if I could. No matter what I do I cannot seem to select it. The only time my circle sketch is even visible is when I edit it.
    Perhaps because it's coincident with the part? I don't know but I can't click it at all
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8dbea644c0474fabd876836b/w/4a15ff5feb6376378b767140/e/011481b323d11188c9367154
    Is there any altternative to clicking on the drawing? Like a list? Or any way to hide parts?
    The sketch will be hidden by default. Click the eye next to the sketch in the feature list. 
    You can also hide parts by clicking the eye next to the part in the parts list or hover over it in the graphics area and press Y on the keyboard (works for all entities)
    Yeah... we're making progress. It's still not generating the extrusion and it's saying: "select sketch curves to extrude".

I imagine it wants to know in which direction to extrude but read somewhere this is always/usually normal to the sketch plane...
    I can't. I hover over my cyclinder sketch and no lines are highlighted to select. I can only select the sketch.

So I re-did my circle sketch - this time choosing the top plane instead of a face of my part as my drawing plane.
    I was then able to select the circle and extrude it.
    Weird.
  • BlåhajBlåhaj Member Posts: 4 EDU
    You don't need to create a new surface. you already have one. Also in your video you extrude a surface that passes through the surface highlighted in the image. Yes i know this was like 6 or 7 years ago, but something that may help you in the future