Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Connecting a mouse and keyboard on android

anthony_douglasanthony_douglas Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
I often use my phone with a mouse and keyboard, and I am sorely wishing I could use the same mouse and keyboard interface as the browser onshape.  It seriously does take twice as long at least to do anything with touch.  It seems like having the option to connect a mouse and keyboard makes total sense.  All the other stuff to enable productivity is there.

I dig that is not the main focus of the mobile app, but to be able to carry only one device etc is important.  Right now I think I am doomed to have to defer any significant amounts of modelling to after I get back to my computer.

I can get a cursor, and that lets me have pointing precision, but scroll wheel does nothing, right click is back button, and of course I cannot get the double tap.

Btw if you haven't tried a mouse with your android I recommend it just to see. The degree of useability improvement surprised me.

Beimg able to reduce the size of the menu icons etc also would also help, once you have a mouse that stiff can be a fraction the size.

Comments

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Have yo ever tried a stylus with Onshape on an Android device?  I'm wondering if the one on the Samsung Note line of phones and tablets might not be useful.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @anthony_douglas
    I suppose it would work if you could use the web version?
    I'm generally a bit against having 3 different sources to update and those apps always drag behind.. And in app environment you are back to install/update work. If I could use web version with my tablets & phone, I would.
    //rami
  • anthony_douglasanthony_douglas Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    No, the web version doesn't work with the browsers on android.  It would be too slow anyway. How do you put on a feature request in around here?  it should be aa relatively minor modification to the software.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm - just tried the stylus on my Samsung Note 5 phone in OS and it seemed to work OK in a very brief test.  I'll try later on my larger Samsung 10.1 Note tablet.
  • kironyo_kironyokironyo_kironyo Member Posts: 1
    I'm following up on the issue of the " right click button acts as a back button" on the mobile tablet version. What is the work around. how does someone select the right click menu on the mobile version?
  • anthony_douglasanthony_douglas Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    update: apparently the whole mouse and cursor functionality is so deeply buried and hard to change in the android os, that you can't do this sort of thing with any app, even if the web browser version worked.  You could use the keyboard, I guess.  But the left and middle mouse buttons, seriously it is pretty messed up that that is not built into android.

The very idea that basic input and output can't be a little  more standard interfaces, when it is relatively simple stuff is pretty nuts.   You can run the same software to a remarkable degree using e.g. java (not entirely, but surprisingly much).... but try connecting a mouse. 
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Anthony,

To answer your question from a few posts back, feature requests can be initiated through the "Improvement Requests" section of this forum.  Sometimes there is an existing request that you can vote on, but it seems like the idea you're getting at here hasn't been suggested there yet.  

@kironyo_kironyo On the mobile app the context menus are opened with a two-finger tap, which doesn't have an analogue on the mouse.  This is also a good candidate for an improvement request.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team