Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Circular grid of holes with no partial holes

jon_smirljon_smirl Member Posts: 15 ✭✭✭✭
I'm creating a speaker grill for injection molding. It is round and I'd like to punch an array of small holes into the large circle to form the speaker grill. I can make an array of rods, clip it to a circle, and then use it to punch the holes for the grill. But when I clip the array of rods to the larger circle of the speaker I get partial rods. How can I clip this so that I only get entire rods (small holes) and no partial ones?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Got a pic, I am struggling to visualise what you mean about the partial rods. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    Manually deleting the rods on the edge seems like the quickest way. If there is a very large number of holes, you could write a Featurescript to create the grill for you.
  • Options
    jon_smirljon_smirl Member Posts: 15 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Consider drawing a circle on graph paper. I only want to include full squares inside the circle, not the partial ones broken by the circle.  This is because the partial circles are too fine of details for molding.

The wrap tab in this design shows the partial circle holes.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5bb44c3ff2a628f2d0bc081a/w/993649e1166c00c4b377bb95/e/81e7faf7f456cff88a836a8b
  • Options
    rian_wendlingrian_wendling Member Posts: 5 PRO
    There is a Featurescript example that does exactly this - please try it out! :)
    Where can I find the Featurescript?  I'm trying to do the same thing.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Ok, i could just post a link to what i think @rian_wendling and @jon_smirl are looking for, but let me teach you to fish.

Go to www.onshape.com/customfeatures and expand the 'more' section. There you will find the 'flood fill' custom feature that i think will do what you're looking for :)

Have fun :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited September 2017
    ...but let me teach you to fish.
    Ah the old "Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night; light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"  lesson...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @owen_sparks - I had to read that twice before i got the joke! :)

Ok gents - does that do what you were looking for?

That one was written by the one and only Paul Chastell (wrote the first Onshape sketcher).
    Its one of the few custom features (that what we call them in preference to 'FeatureScript' so that users dont think they have to write any code to use them), that i look at the code and still have no idea how it works! #magic :)

Its very cool!
    Philip Thomas - Onshape