Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Improvements to Onshape - September 26th, 2017

2»

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    eric_9 said:
     lowering the click count when using tools on a smaller screen?
    I'm zooming out the whole tab on 80% in Firefox. The font gets little blurry, but I'm used to small icons, so it's working for me
    don't forget you can customize your tool bar to only show your most common functions. You could also master keyboard shortcuts and remove most of the buttons from the bar and just show the ones without shortcuts :)
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Very nice update, I'll use most of these frequently I'm sure
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Here is a big virutal hug for DRAFT ANALYSIS!   For us molding/forming guys this is a game changer.  I used on real jobs already and love the undercut visual. 

And the improvement to loft is terrific.

Great work!

next parting line and parting line draft....   :)
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @chrisjh777 - I am not exactly sure how Lou is organizing this stuff, but i think that the forum users create the IR's for other users to vote on. While we absolutely do tally up those requests, internally, we have a superset that is recorded in our development platform and Pro users can add their requests (matched and turned into votes) directly from within Onshape. Your best bet would be to create the IR request to let other free (and pro) users vote on. Without helping you too much, you might want to call it "A way to snap ordinate dimensions to horizontal or vertical" ;)
    Direct submissions are never echoed to the forums for voting. You need to visit the improvement request area to have public voted on imporvements.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    G'day everyone.  I raised an IR regarding ordinate dimension snapping here:  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7359/ability-to-snap-ordinate-dimensions-to-horizontal-or-vertical#latest
  • Options
    eric_9eric_9 Member Posts: 3
    NeilCooke said:
    eric_9 said:
    Cool your adding new features but how about fixing the inconsistency, adding missing tool function and lowering the click count when using tools on a smaller screen?
    @eric_9 can you be a bit more specific?
    Hi NeilCooke,

Inconsistency:
    The tool icons are click first then perform that tool action. The construction tool you are expected to select the lines first then clicking on the tool to swap the lines. I'm sure this is done this way to support drag-n-select. should either add another icon and/or if the icon is clicked without any items selected then it behaves like other buttons.

Missing Tool:
    Could you PLEASE add a DELETE button to the toolbar(icon)? My tablet doesn't have a keyboard so it's sort of hard to delete items. This button should also have a dual mode. actually, most tools should support this dual mode.
       a) Selecting the tool first (No items selected) then for each click on an item will delete it.
       b) If the user has 1 or more items selected then selecting(Clicking) on the tool just deletes all the selected item(s).

Lower clicking(On mobile app):
    It only keeps a single tool at the toolbar after selecting. It looks like the tools are arranged in 3 groups + the dimension tool. a few ideas....
    a) Could you keep 1 tool in the toolbar from each group after selecting it?
    b) Keep the last 2-3 tools used available at the toolbar.
    c) Change the single selecting icon(the one that allows you to pick any tool) into the 3 groups and keep the last item as active. A long press would cause drop-down to select another tool just from that group.

Please let me know if any of this makes sense. Thanks, Eric.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    @eric_9

inconsistency: the construction icon is there as a toggle button. Press it before creating lines and arcs. You are right if you want to convert later you must select line first then press the icon. This is the same as in the web browser version. 

Missing tool: to delete, select items first then two finger tap to bring up the context menu 

lower clicking: please create an improvement request, although this is unlikely to change due to available space on iPhone. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Can the draft analysis be used as a curve analysis? Awesome updates.

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    mustafa_habibmustafa_habib Member Posts: 1
    Hi onshape team. are you having any simulation?
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi onshape team. are you having any simulation?
    https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/Simulation

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    don_howedon_howe Member Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Jake_Rosenfeld

I am not sure what I am looking at or how to interpret the meaning of the curves. Say you have a curved surface and you want to know where the hills and valleys are or how fair or smooth it is. Say a boat/ship hull. Basically checking it to a profile tolerance. Does the link you provide https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/showcurvature.htm help me with that?
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @don_howe ,

When you said curve analysis I thought you may mean curvature analysis of edges.  The curvature comb in 'show curvature' visualizes the magnitude of the curvature along an edge.  Wherever the curvature comb crosses the edge is an inflection point.  Discontinuities in the curvature comb indicate discontinuities of the curvature of the edge.

Unfortunately, we do not yet have surface combs similar to this.  Can you make an improvement request for them?

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team