Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Making a basketball

niko_neatheryniko_neathery Member Posts: 2 EDU
edited October 2017 in Community Support
We are trying to make a basket ball for a trophy. We have the hemisphere but do not know how to make the grooves of a basket ball. anyhelp would be appreciated 

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Personally I'd go and get this step file:- https://grabcad.com/library/basketball-25 and then boolean it to the top of your trophy :)

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited October 2017
    @owen_sparks
    You lazy bastard =) 

Cross grooves are pretty straight forward but are there some specific rules for those curves? I rarely need this sort of modeling but got disturbed as I didn't immediately have a solution in my mind on how to make curved groove on top of ball shape?

I would probably try to create surface overlapping with ball and sweep along intersection line.. Or could it be possible to use slot for this somehow?

I'm sure this thread will end up with a contest to create basket ball with minimum features and the winner has coded a feature script to create any sports ball with a single feature B)=)
    //rami
  • Options
    abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend looking at a the ball from the side and cutting the grooves through the sphere with a basic extrude remove. You can then create a smaller sphere inside of the first and boolean everything together to get the final shape. I used an offset surface to create the smaller sphere at a specific offset and then did some mirroring to put it all together. Check out an example here:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2b94d45e9494ed7bd3ccc36d/w/7fcab72ac3263bcf00b960dd/e/1afdaf10d4a3c04fa2a2d4ae
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    3dcad said:
    @owen_sparks
    You lazy bastard =) 
    o:) Hey, engineering is "Applied Science", not "Making everything from first principles every single time science".

OwS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd