Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to make arc go up

Hello, 

I would like to ask for help. I need to make a path for swipe that goes up & down based on some profile. I have managed the straight parts. Unfortunately don't know how to manage arcs. Do You have any idea?

Here is what I have done so far (the final solution will be much more complicated, this is just a prototype to test how to)
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c8a8297d2d44f17f010171e6/w/bd77e1abab5be6f42f223f44/e/1150e4f46d67677286934073

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/58e5716a63d6ac0f6a37bcf3/w/c0281061d33578f26e088302/e/dfd2ace95809f5e8aaf02770

By arcs do you mean this?

If so then pretty much the same concept as your flat profile.
    There are no 3D sketches yet, so you have to take it in steps

• Options
    vojtěch_bartošvojtěch_bartoš Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2017
    Nope, the highlighted one. 

The idea is to move path (defined by sketch named Path) by z offset. The straight parts are quite fine but the parts where I'm not able to put a plane (like a arc) are the issue. I was trying to use 3D spline, but was not able to keep profile of the path. I would like to have the path also smooth

Seems like I'm getting closer - I found some solution using helix. See part studio named "using helix". Unfortunately it is not still ideal (having cases where need to connect arc to straight path that is paralel to top plane) 

• Options
    steven_abiusosteven_abiuso Member Posts: 11
    Nope, the highlighted one. 

The idea is to move path (defined by sketch named Path) by z offset. The straight parts are quite fine but the parts where I'm not able to put a plane (like a arc) are the issue. I was trying to use 3D spline, but was not able to keep profile of the path. I would like to have the path also smooth

Seems like I'm getting closer - I found some solution using helix. See part studio named "using helix". Unfortunately it is not still ideal (having cases where need to connect arc to straight path that is paralel to top plane) 

I am still fairly new to this software, but what about sketching the profile with a line and/or arcs and then using the loft command to generate the surface, which should keep your surface smooth.
  • Options
    pbcpbc Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2017
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/58e5716a63d6ac0f6a37bcf3/w/c0281061d33578f26e088302/e/dfd2ace95809f5e8aaf02770

By arcs do you mean this?

If so then pretty much the same concept as your flat profile.
    There are no 3D sketches yet, so you have to take it in steps

Is it possible to get a copy of this workspace?  The link is down. 
  • Options
    florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    To create a 3D curve for sweeping along you can do this:
    1. Create the guide sketch in top view
    2. Create a side view (or more than one or an additional front view
    3. Extrude these guide lines as a surface
    4. Use the split tool to split the generated surfaces with each other
    5. The split line will be your sweep guide
    It will get a bit tricky if you want to do the 180 deg turn. You might need to define multiple sketches for each 90deg part.

If you don’t care about full control of the overall shape, you can use a 3D spline with guide points and continuity constraints.

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi folks.

I believe you can get there with a few less steps by using the recent addition to our toolset of "Projected Curve".

Steps 1 and 2 as per @florian 's method but with the curve doing the grunt work of steps 3-5.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4a14c236a38c5368c8ec9a74/w/d4dbd2385ddf49c915b29327/e/b9ed7334318b0203accc337c

@john_mcclary is this how you went about it?  (I think your doc might not be public.)

Happy CADing, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    edited October 2017
    @owen_sparks nah, the toolbox has come a long way as far as curves since I attempted last.

And It looks like I may have deleted that docmument. oops