Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing Solid Edge file format directly

HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in General

Are there plans in the near future to import native Solid Edge files into Onshape:

part (*.par),  assembly (*.asm), part sheet metal (*.psm) ?

I know that Solid Edge and Onshape are using the same Parasolid kernel. And the quality mostly is acceptable. But it is always an additional step, so it would be much easier to import the native files directly.
Tagged:

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Hakro - Importing via Parasolid is the fewest number of steps.
    We read native SolidWorks through Pack-and-go and it's more clicks than simply exporting Parasolid.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • elifelif Onshape Employees Posts: 50
    Also please make (or add to) an improvement request for this, so that we can prioritize it better
    Team Lead, Part Studios
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Native file import is a lot fewer clicks if you're working on machine that doesn't have cad installed and just access cad files through network. Or have moved to Onshape a while back and have new computer then consider if you need to install previous cad at all..

I would appreciate Alibre/Geomagic native import for parts & assemblies, I think I have put in a ticket long time ago..
    //rami
  • elifelif Onshape Employees Posts: 50
    Great, thanks!
    Team Lead, Part Studios
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am all in on import of Solid Edge files!
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign