Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Angled Holes - New to OnShape

bill_woodbill_wood Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
I need some direction on how to go about making an angled hole.

Assume you have a cube 2x2. I want a 1/2" hole diagonally from the left,rear,top corner diagonally through the cube exiting the right, front, bottom. I'm stumped (or stupid). Here is a quick drawing from TinkerCAD (sorry, I know it's cheesy! to illustrate what I mean.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited October 2017
    Hi @bill_wood and welcome to the forums.

The answer to this is a bit convoluted.

With a some help from @konstantin_shiriazdanov, here is my take on things.

For the hole function to work we need a sketch point normal to the direction of the hole.
    For a sketch point we need a planar surface (usually an existing plane or the flat side of a part, but that's no good here)
    So we need a new plane.

Now I didn't want us to have to do any math(s) (to say rotate a plane by an angle) because if we change the cube later into a cuboid it'll fall over.

So in this example we have:-
    (a) 3D fit spline, to pick up the ends of the hole and determine the normal direction.
    (b) A "Point Normal" Plane created on the end of the spline
    (c) A sketch on the new plane with the vertex of the cube projected onto it.
    (d) The hole function used to make the hole.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4e661419b9a6f9eafd2e4b5e/w/02a4904ee81e2ea7d38c5e85/e/47cb2e3eb5ff2ec2ae1c6c4b

The 2nd example shows the same method used between a couple of points on the faces of the part instead of the corners.

It's usually at this point that @philip_thomas jumps in and says you can do that in 2 steps not 10, but at least it's a start!

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @owen_sparks - Nope, you nailed the solution i would have gone for! 
    Any fewer steps would involve a custom feature :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    @owen_sparks - Nope, you nailed the solution i would have gone for! 
    Any fewer steps would involve a custom feature :)
    Groovy, thanks Philip.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • bill_woodbill_wood Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Thank you @owen_sparks  &  @philip_thomas ... I appreciate the quick responses!
    Hi Bill.

You're welcome.

Cheers, Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd