Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Updated: Laser Joint Feature is now about 25% faster

lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
edited October 2017 in FeatureScript

Finally had some time to write more code, so made I some improvements in the Laser Joint feature!

Can be found here, or by searching in "community spotlight" in the add custom features dialog.

Using primitives and patterns to cut the pins in the tab parts now, which is about 25% faster than the previous version.

No bugs found on my set of test cases, but if you run into issues please shoot me a message on the forum and link to a public document with a minimum example demonstrating the problem and I'll take a look as I get time.
Arul Suresh
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Great work as ever :)

Well done.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Hugh_GoodbodyHugh_Goodbody Member Posts: 38 PRO
    Arul, love using your tool,terrific addition. Do you think it would be possible to add the option of offsetting the pin face from the end face (similar to image) to allow plug welding?

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 to an option to offset the pin face.
  • lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    Pin face should be pretty straightforward, I'll see what I can do.
    Arul Suresh
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Awesome Work!!! I think SolidWorks have even copied this for their latest release but didn't include the nice corner hole feature. 

I want pin face offset too. +1 for me

And great work on the speed increase. Can we update old FS's to 2.3?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    @brucebartlett yeah, you should be able to update old versions of Laser Joint without breaking anything. If you do and something does break, send me a MWE so that I can add that to my test cases.

Note that I haven't been keeping track of what is and isn't a new function in the versions of FeatureScript, and unlike the OS native features don't do a lot of checking the version of FeatureScript before using a function. So it may break if you run the new version of Laser Joint in a very old version of FS.  Though I think old documents also update which version of FS they run, so it shouldn't be an issue.
    Arul Suresh
  • kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    @lemon1324 Not only do old documents update themselves over time, but also, custom features will always run at the FeatureScript version and Standard Library version specified at the top of the Feature Studio. In FeatureScript, old code can call new code and new code can call old code, and the specified version will be used in each place. So if you imported std version X, your code will always use std version X, no matter how old the top level Part Studio may be.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    To add to Kevin's response, it's our job to make sure that your custom features continue functioning correctly, even as we update Onshape.  There is no harm in using an old version of a custom feature.

Now when you modify the code for a custom feature (e.g., add functionality or update it to a newer FS/std version), it's up to you to make sure it still works correctly.  And when you update your custom feature use in a part studio to a new version of the feature, it's up to you to make sure your part studio didn't break.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • lassi_valkama756lassi_valkama756 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I found a thing in Laser Joint FS. I'm designing a plyometric box and my plywood material thickness was 15mm. Should maybe even be more, but for some reason some of the joints were not cut through. There was a couple of millimeters thick layer left out in the bottomo of the cut. At first I was thinking it was some sort of smart way to make hidden joints, but then I realized that the LJFS works only until 12mm material thickness and not more. Is this something you could easily fix? 
    I'm surprised there's a thickness limit, all of the code should be using THROUGH_ALL bounding type.  Can you make a public document that has the simplest example that causes the problem and share it with me?
    Arul Suresh
    @lassi_valkama756, just following up on this - if you can link me to a public document illustrating the problem you're seeing I can try to address it.
    Arul Suresh
  • da_loda_lo Member Posts: 2
    i would like to see the ability to put joints along a curve. as in thickened curved surface.  i want  to make an acoustic style guitar.