Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - November 9th, 2017

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited November 2017 in New in Onshape
Another 3 weeks, another update. Another chance to show you all the awesome things we have been working on to make your life easier.  Let's dig in.

COPY ASSEMBLIES AND DRAWINGS TO CLIPBOARD

You can now copy assemblies and drawings to the clipboard, then paste them into another Document.  All references to the assembly and drawing will also be copied.  The copied assembly or drawing is not linked to the original.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/0vqeqy1mjn?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

MATCH CURVATURE IN BRIDGING CURVE AND 3D FIT SPLINE

You now have options in both the bridging curve command and the 3D Fit Spline command to match the curvature, giving you curvature continuous transitions between your selections and the curves you are creating.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/mw9rrsemd3?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

3D FIT SPLINE IMPROVEMENTS

You can now reference a plane or planar face when specifying direction in the 3D Fit Spline command.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/qzmwq9if7k?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

INSPECTION DIMENSIONS IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You can now specify a dimension as an Inspection Dimension with a new option in the Dimension Panel dialog.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/loes3iisdh?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

DRAWING DIMENSION TEXT ALIGNMENT

You will find a new Drawing Properties option to align all dimension text horizontally.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/x9u0j6rgdq?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

JOGGED ANGULAR SECTION VIEWS

You can now add jogs to angular section views.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6zumt9kles?embedType=iframe&videoWidth=640

ATTACH GEOMETRIC TOLERANCE TO DIMENSION

You can now attach a Geometric Tolerance to a dimension in Onshape Drawings. Simply drag the symbol over a dimension on initial insert or after it has been placed.  You can detach at any time by dragging the symbol away from the dimension.

DRAWING PROPERTIES IN RIGHT-MOUSE CLICK MENU

You'll find a new "Drawing Properties" option when right-clicking in an Onshape Drawing.  In the past this was only available as an icon in the toolbar.

COLLAPSE PARTS LIST

You can now collapse the Parts List in your Part Studio.

IMPORT INTO MULTIPLE DOCUMENTS

You will find a new option when importing assemblies to "Split Assemblies and parts into multiple documents."  This will create Documents for each sub-assembly and part and organize them into a folder named after the top-level. To maintain ideal performance there will be a restriction to the number of parts that you can import with this option.

SELECT EDGES IN SHADED WITHOUT EDGES DISPLAY STYLE

You can now select edges when using the "Shaded without Edges" display style.

IMPROVEMENTS TO THE ONSHAPE LEARNING CENTER

We've added two new advanced courses to the Onshape Learning Center for Professional users. One for Sheet Metal and one for Managed In-Context Design. In addition, we've also made the Onshape Fundamentals learning pathway free for everyone (in the past this was limited to Onshape Professional users).

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this latest update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the improvements, specially in drawings

Great job!!
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Great update :warning:

My favorites this time would be copying also assemblies & drawings between documents and I've been looking for a way to have all dimension text horizontal in drawings (didn't know it wasn't possible until now).

Thanks!
    //rami
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Good updates, keep it coming!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Copy drawings and assy's across documents is a great improvement. Alos I am looking forward to trying the new import with retained structure. Great work 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited November 2017
    Very much like this:-

SELECT EDGES IN SHADED WITHOUT EDGES DISPLAY STYLE

Thanks, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • barry_gibsonbarry_gibson Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    A big thank you to Mr onshape, have been banging my drum before, on this forum about training or better still trying to learn your software!! so a big thumbs up from me so off i go to the new learning center,  keep up the good work. 
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Gavin_MunroGavin_Munro Member Posts: 14 PRO
    edited November 2017
    Love the ability to copy and paste assemblies and the drawing improvements. Onshape just keeps getting better.  Thanks all
  • Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Special Thanks for...
    1. Copy Assemblies and Drawings - very helpful
    2. Attach Geometric Tolerances
    3. Onshape learning center expansion

I'm not an ID guy but those curve improvements look cool. I hope I get to use them someday

• harry_schmidharry_schmid Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Great job on the clipboard feature. Great stuff!
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    My favorite:

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Learning Center upgrade looks super!  Long been hoping for that.  Thanks!!!
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @andrew_kimpton - you got a "my favorite" ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @andrew_kimpton - you got a "my favorite" ;)
    Is this for bragging rights or is there an incentive scheme for such recognition?

OwS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @owen_sparks - Being able to collapse the parts list was a drum i had been beating for a while. I cornered Andrew one afternoon and got him to do it in about 10 mins. He was dubious that anyone would notice :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @philip_thomas   Now we need a search on the parts and surface's list, like the features list, that would surely only take 30 mins. Maybe you can corner someone to do that too. 
    Search parts in assemblies too whlie you're at it!  ;)

brucebartlett said:
    @philip_thomas   Now we need a search on the parts and surface's list, like the features list, that would surely only take 30 mins. Maybe you can corner someone to do that too. 

.. Yea yea I know, make an improvement request ...  o:)
    @brucebartlett @john_mcclary - thats on my list too.
    YES _ PLEASE SUBMIT AN ENHANCEMENT REQUEST :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Cast my vote
  • florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Something new for drawing properties? What does it do? Or did I overlook it before?
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    edited November 2017
    @florian That is a new property. Aside from helping you remember if that part or assembly or file is revision managed, it does not do anything (yet).
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    @cody_armstrong - You (OS) added the Inspection Dimension specification option to the Dimension Panel dialog. Very nice.
    But why not also adding the BASIC dimension specification which is very needed when using
    the GD&T “Position” Tolerance. 

This fits in the https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7730/is-drawing-the-weak-point-of-onshape#latest topic.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    H_d_V said:
    @cody_armstrong - You (OS) added the Inspection Dimension specification option to the Dimension Panel dialog. Very nice.
    But why not also adding the BASIC dimension specification which is very needed when using the GD&T “Position” Tolerance. 

This fits in the https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7730/is-drawing-the-weak-point-of-onshape#latest topic.
    @H_d_V Have you tried the "Basic" option in the Dimension Panel dialog? It's in the tolerance dropdown.  Is this what you are referring to?

• Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Hi @cody_armstrong,

OK, there it is!

Sorry for the inconvenience. I did not look at the tolerance spot, maybe because I'm still too much in the CREO mode where the basic dimension setting is outside the tolerance settings.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • OLDCADGUYOLDCADGUY Member Posts: 5

Your search for "DRAWING LINE WEIGHT" returned 0 result(s). .. WHY?