Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Revolve feature

geoff_joseygeoff_josey Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
I am a Onshape newbie but have spent quite a bit of time on webinars etc. I still get stuck on really basic functions and so have gone back to really basic actions.
eg. Revolve. I draw a rectangle and then try to revolve it eg. thro 30 degrees. It comes up red and says" did not regenerate properly" I understand the problem generating a sphere from a circle - use a semicircle.  I guess you could generate the segment by sketching it and using extrude, but I want to understand why I have the problem with revolve Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,376
    Sounds like the profile is self-intersecting when being revolved. Always with this feature, only draw half of the profile section.  
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks Neil. I think you are correct as i have now managed to revolve a circle thro 180 degrees Still having problems though. Can you select the origin as an axis of rotation ? I cannot seem to use it. I also have a problem if I draw a line outside the part to use as the
    rotation axis.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @geoff_josey

Here is an example of a sphere and a rotation of a sketch with the axis outside of the part:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cc4d4b2cf804d1baa357a53e/w/a7e3d75321dd496a271e4dc1/e/e56ba3433f3c5176d7610b9d

Can you post a link for the document you are having trouble in? It may help to see what you are trying to do.

The origin cannot be used as an axis of rotation because it is not a line in space. There are many ways to rotate about the origin because it is just a point.  (For example, a selection of the origin could be asking to rotate "over" the origin or "around the back"; there's no way to tell without a full line.)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Hi Jake, Thanks for your comments. 
    I am still struggling. Take a look at Public doc Test3 I have created a line as the revolve axis. Just trying to revolve the rectangle thro 180 deg. Why does the revolve command come up as red and fail ? Is the selection sequence critical ? ie rotate - select face the axix ?
  • Options
    Hi @geoff_josey please provide a link - a search for "test3" gives thousands of results.

• Options
    Works fine for me: 

• Options
    OK now thanks. I had the idea that the "red"highlighting indicated a problem rather than an incomplete sequence. Thanks