Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Linear Sketch Pattern: Align-along-Line / Snap-to-Point?

dario_ernstdario_ernst Member Posts: 4
Hi,

I have hit a dead-end on what i thought should be an easy design. In sketch mode, I’d like to draw a saw-tooth-pattern on a line.

To elaborate a bit:
I have a line as a base. This can be construction or regular. I will construct a triangle, shaped to my needs, on this line. Then, I’d like to repeat the 2 lines that make up the triangle „on“ the line, to make a saw-tooth-pattern. Since the line can be randomly oriented, the default X and Y pattern-repetition-vectors are of no use. I though the „pattern-drag-arrows“ would maybe snap onto a line, onto a point, or maybe i could enter an angle to tell the tool in which direction to repeat the pattern. Howeve, I found no such functionality.

Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places, or thinking in completely wrong ways …. Anyhow, here’s a quick example illustrating the problem roughly:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fe5ac7182e5ca63cfcc2db76/w/bd8cead51ef8e0069322afec/e/bc1206e72b6af31494574a3a

I’d be glad about any pointers or help!
Best,
-Dario

Best Answer

Answers

• dario_ernstdario_ernst Member Posts: 4
    Hi Owen,

thanks for your quick Answer! That indeed is the trick, thanks a lot! Now my designs will become a bit cleaner and less convoluted o:)

While already asking, and this is half-offtopic for the question: Is there a way to make a pattern repeat „Until this point“, i.e. not specify a fixed amount of repetitions, but instead let the solver decide how many fit the given space?

Thanks again!
    -Dario
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited December 2017
    Hi, no worries.

On the second point, not that I'm aware of. I was about to suggest an equation to do so but we can't use variables in sketch patterns, well not today anyway.

All I can suggest today is to either:

(a) Use a repetition number far greater than you need, and then either delete the extras, or simply not use them for whatever feature comes next.

(b) Sketch just one of the teeth, and then after extruding use the face or feature pattern to build the rest. Either of these can be driven by equations based on variables if required.  Say pattern qty = round down (saw length/tooth spacing).

I think OS use floor and ceiling instead of round up or round down but you get the idea!

Cheers Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • dario_ernstdario_ernst Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

thanks again, I’m gonna try my luck with the equation-driven feature-pattern approach later ….

Thanks alot! Best Regards,
    -Dario
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sure thing.  :)

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd