Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - December 4th, 2017

2»

Comments

  • john_mceleneyjohn_mceleney Onshape Employees Posts: 54
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @claus_jeppesen817 - because so many materials differ depending upon the supplier you choose (especially plastics), it is not our intention to create material libraries for every possible variation. Your best option is to create your own library of the materials you commonly use. A good resource is matweb.com or your suppliers' data sheets.

    What might be nice, as OS gains market share, is for materials manufacturers to see value in their products being included in a central onshape library.  They could then maintain their OS library of products and we could select them from their certified list.

    This would also allow for planned obsolescence  / seamless new material introduction.

    Owen S.

    Owen: We agree
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,454 PRO
    If you good folks release every 3 weeks you picked a pretty unfortunate date to release this one ;)

    Owen S.
    Production Engineer
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 2,561
    I try to be creative with the preamble @owen_sparks but clearly nobody actually reads it and jumps straight to the videos!

  • claus_jeppesen817claus_jeppesen817 Member Posts: 39 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Hi @claus_jeppesen817 - because so many materials differ depending upon the supplier you choose (especially plastics), it is not our intention to create material libraries for every possible variation. Your best option is to create your own library of the materials you commonly use. A good resource is matweb.com or your suppliers' data sheets.

    Hi Neil
    It would still be appreciated a lot if a DIN/EN material library was created and shared by OS or another user. Would save a lot of work

  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,454 PRO
    What might be nice, as OS gains market share, is for materials manufacturers to see value in their products being included in a central onshape library.  They could then maintain their OS library of products and we could select them from their certified list.

    This would also allow for planned obsolescence  / seamless new material introduction. 

    Owen S.

    Owen: We agree
    Hmm, I was being a bit short sighted there.

    Things start to get really interesting when we start to join the dots of OS's features.

    Material library + automated mechanical analysis + costed BOM + method of selecting different options to try, ooh, that's good.

    OwS
    Production Engineer
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,454 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    I try to be creative with the preamble @owen_sparks but clearly nobody actually reads it and jumps straight to the videos!

    Sorry Neil, I was having an attack of the stupids there.
    Production Engineer
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 867 ✭✭✭✭
    It's been 24 days since the last update. Don't tell me OS is slacking on their strict 3 week update schedule just because of the holidays ;) I kid. Take a break till the new year!
  • john_f_carrjohn_f_carr Onshape Employees Posts: 74
    mahir said:
    It's been 24 days since the last update. Don't tell me OS is slacking on their strict 3 week update schedule just because of the holidays ;) I kid. Take a break till the new year!

    Our Christmas release had some really great features, but only the most intelligent and skilled CAD designers can see them.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 867 ✭✭✭✭
    Lump of coal much, @john_f_carr?
Sign In or Register to comment.