Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Designing An Enclosure - Parts, Part Studios and Assemblies. Oh my!

alan_evansalan_evans Member Posts: 1
Hi all, I am new to OnShape and to parametric design in general.  I took several drafting classes back in 199<mumbles> and so I am familiar w/ mechanical and architectural drawing.  I actually went online and found a bunch of the kinds of drawings we did in class and reproduced them myself.  That was fun.

Now I am trying to model an enclosure for a little Frequency Counter kit that's available on eBay.  I intend to 3D print it.  I figured one of the best ways to go about this would be to model the enclosure then derive or <insert parametric design term> the enclosure from that model.

I modeled the board in one part studio then created another part studio and used the derive tool.  I have done most of the drawing and it had gone well.  But I modeled the board in such a way that some of the components are individual parts in a part studio.  The derived part studio now contains all of those parts also.  How can I group or do something to them so that the entire part studio functions as one?  I would really like to just hide the entire frequency counter instead of having to select the individual components.  (Though sometimes it is nice to hide everything BUT one component.)

Also, I decided that I want to put a 9V battery in the enclosure.  It turns out there are already 12938109283 9V battery models in OnShape so I thought I would use one of those.  But I am not sure how to bring that in and then set it up in some kind of relation to my existing model.  Assembly?  I tried to and used a couple of mates and planar relationship and that got me most of the way there...  Again what is the best way to proceed?  Assembly with Frequency Counter and battery then derive?

Best practice question?  So most of the design is based on a sketch of the PCB.  In building things like the standoffs and drill holes for, should I go all the way back to this sketch or is it sufficient to use a circle from the extrude or some such?

My Document

9V Battery

Representative eBay Listing for the board

Thank you,
-Alan

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Have you tried Boolean-Union in the board's part studio. That should combine everything into a solid object, assuming there is no zero-length errors or anything while merging.

Derived is kind-of a last resort function as it tends to be very slow.

You may find it better to insert the board into an assembly, then make your case "in-context" in a new part studio

OR, just model the cover directly inside the board's part studio is also a good option.

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Also have a look at @Jake_Rosenfeld 's featurescript for simplifying PCBs.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd