Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Suggested approach for bend sheet metal panel with tabs

While trying to design a cover for a box I am struggling to find the best approach.
Hope you can help me out / point me in the right direction.
I have the following box out of sheet metal. I want the parts to be lasercut and machine bend. I can just upload a step file.

The light blue panel on the right hand side will be welded in.
The dark blue panel needs to be bolted in.
Due to the fact that I need to be able to insert a frame into the box, the mounting tabs/flanges cannot be on the box itself.
Furthermore the box needs to become (almost) airtight.
Therefore I started with a sheet metal pane and started adding flanges.

However, that does not work out. Even if I remove overlap in the flanges and try to use 'move plane' onshape concludes the sheel metal model is no longer unfoldable to cannot be generated.

Another approach could be to first design a flat panel with flanges, create cut-outs where the three bends needs to come and then bend it. But I cannot find a way to do the last step.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    lars_rengersenlars_rengersen Member Posts: 32 PRO
    Well after all this time spend of trying do do it manually I suddenly had a bright moment and decided to create one flange instead of multiple separate ones and Onshape did the trick!