Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 2nd, 2018

Comments

• bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    I really need the rolled sheet metal feature but I can't get it to work.  Here's the start of the model.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c906a6bdcf50136ee9dbb9e1/w/9f6d794f5ac613eb6ba6aa67/e/ab9ba5cb11cb8f3bd8588b3f

I tried to extrude the sketch then I extruded the sketch and tried to convert the solid to sheet metal but in each case, the large radius fails to work.

What am I doing wrong?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I really need the rolled sheet metal feature but I can't get it to work.  Here's the start of the model.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c906a6bdcf50136ee9dbb9e1/w/9f6d794f5ac613eb6ba6aa67/e/ab9ba5cb11cb8f3bd8588b3f

I tried to extrude the sketch then I extruded the sketch and tried to convert the solid to sheet metal but in each case, the large radius fails to work.

What am I doing wrong?
    I believe you have to extrude using the sheet-metal feature, not the normal extrude command
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited January 2018
    @bill_daniels @john_mcclary

Convert and extrude should both work, but it appears your document is at an old version.  We're looking into it.  In the meantime, Please try to create your geometry in a fresh document and everything should work as expected!

Edit: The document in question had some trouble upgrading upon our new release.  Please press the "feedback" or "report a bug" button in the "?" menu of your part studio to speak to us about it directly.  This geometry should absolutely work if you try it in a new document! Please let us know if that also doesn't work.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    I created a new document and re-created the sketch from coordinates but got the same result.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @bill_daniels from coordinates? Are the arcs definitely tangent?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Yep, coordinates.  Placed points on the corners of the original sketch and wrote down the Y-Z coordinates and used them to dimension the sketch in a new document. 

Yes, the line is tangent - I used the tangent tool to make it so.
    Update:  After closing the new document and then re-opening it, the extrude sheet metal function worked.  Can't explain why.
  • MikeDMikeD Member Posts: 1
    Great updates. Great Onshape team. I wish you a great 2018 year. All the best.
  • janos_horvathjanos_horvath Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Wow, a big one again! You can always surprise me! Keep up the good work! 
    You know this was a big deal, In only 4 days it has more comments than any other improvement announcement in the entire history of OnShape.
    In fact it's close to doubling that number pretty soon!
  • andreas_lechthalerandreas_lechthaler Member Posts: 6 PRO
    ...cool... ;)
  • lars_3lars_3 Member Posts: 1
    I am impressed and happy for new features.
  • SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Will standard content be available in the mobile app soon?

Apologies if this has already been answered anywhere.
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    @Skippy

We are working on it.
    Support & QA
  • SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Jason_S said:
    @Skippy

We are working on it.
    Thanks! It will be really handy to have that available
  • Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

This update is amazing ! I was waiting for the fasteners library since the suppress of the fasteners in the 3dx content and it is very easy to use ! 

I was not waiting for the configuration part but I'm very pleased and already using it ! 
    It is very useful and so I'd like to see it in assemblies. It seems that you stopped half in the way developping it only for parts. 
    It seems that I'm not the only one interested in configurations in Assembly, hope it will come soon !

Oh noes! Still no Assembly configuration. :(

OnShape planning on this? Or should I create a improvement request?
    No Pressure, but with the totally awesome blow your mind implementation of configurations on part studios, I can't wait to be able to apply the same to my assemblies, I am really excited about the possibilities here, building out all product variants with a few clicks. 
    @john_mcclary

We are planning on this as well.  
    Onshape never stop impressing me !
    Thank you for your great job !
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Ornella_Tortorici (and others!) - we are thrilled that you love the update :)
    Many around here worked long and hard to get it out.

That said, please do not think for one moment that we 'forgot' to do assembly configurations ;)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    @philip_thomas Haha ! I hope I didn't offend you :wink:
    You've done a great job and it will be perfect with the assembly configuration, I'm eager to see it :smile:
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    I would like to see a Drawings Configuration  B)

I need to automate a large number of similar drawings. 
  • stephen_jones391stephen_jones391 Member Posts: 2
    I have just started to investigate configred multi parts in assemblys. really blown away by what i see as a totally new way of organising containered programming and yes like all parametric design it does build and in a lot less time than other software. i am interested to know how far you can drive assemblies by driven contstrains, ie change "on the fly" a configeration of one multipart to drive the formulation of a whole new assembly
    I have just started to investigate configred multi parts in assemblys. really blown away by what i see as a totally new way of organising containered programming and yes like all parametric design it does build and in a lot less time than other software. i am interested to know how far you can drive assemblies by driven contstrains, ie change "on the fly" a configeration of one multipart to drive the formulation of a whole new assembly

Yes the on the fly configs are amazing.
    Before I would have to make a spiral chute (imagine a spiral staircase), I would copy the document, then start going through all of the features to update height, width, diameter etc. It would take hours... Now I just draw it once and toss it into an assembly, select all the parts and copy them to the side, right click and update config, input the differences and generate. Now it takes seconds.

You have to remember to go back into your details and configure the detailed part to match your configuration though.
    But so far my dimensions all update after changing configs in the drawings. This is awesome stuff. I could almost get away with only updating the drawings with this system..
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @stephen_jones391
    @john_mcclary

Really help full comments.   Thanks!

I am curious for context - what is your 'other' CAD system(s) that you are comparing?

www.accuratepattern.com
    SolidWorks 2017  (AKA: SometimesWorks 2017 alpha)
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    I would like to see a Drawings Configuration  B)

I need to automate a large number of similar drawings. 
    @sebastian_glanzner Are you familiar with tabulated drawings?  Would that approach suit for the scenario you have in mind?  
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @Ornella_Tortorici (and others!) - we are thrilled that you love the update :)
    Many around here worked long and hard to get it out.

That said, please do not think for one moment that we 'forgot' to do assembly configurations ;)

So does that mean we shouldn't bother making an improvement request?  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    I already got you covered @brucebartlett :wink:

We always welcome it though.  We're just a click away...
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    PeteYodis said:
    I already got you covered @brucebartlett :wink:

We always welcome it though.  We're just a click away...
    No Worries Pete, I am sure the team has assy config's covered and you can't wait to share with us, but of course only when it's ready. The part studio configurations are awesome and so simple, I now just can't wait to apply them to my assembles.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Is there any way currently or planned to align a sketch that is inserted into a drawing with any part geometry? Without this ability, adding sketches is nice, but quite limited. A simple example: take a v-block that uses an over-roll dimension to define. You would make a sketch of the roll as a reference circle and use this sketch to define the extrude geometry. When a drawing is made, you need the reference circle to be tangent to the V extrude in order to add the correct dimension. Please add this if it is not already planned or implemented. If is is implemented, please explain how it can be done. I did not see it.

Keep up the good work.
    I wondering about expanding of Standard Content. I found the no iso lock washers/spring washer when I went to add them in today.  I'd also love to see a list of company parts with part numbers and descriptions, maybe even a way download and upload the info in table format rather than navigating the menu.