Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Differences between Onshape and Solidworks

michael_stallsmichael_stalls Member Posts: 59 PRO
I have been using Onshape pretty extensively for about 2 years and and i feel like i have a pretty solid grasp of it now. I have had previous professional experience using Catia V5. I haven't really used Solidworks before but i know the people who developed Onshape are the same people who originally developed Solidworks so there must be a fair bit of similarity between them. I see lots of jobs advertised Here in Australia for experienced Solidworks users if your an experienced Onshape User would you be able to pick up Solidworks quickly and apply for these jobs? I am quite happy with Onshape myself and dont plan on springing for a Solidworks licence.  But i need some extra income and there seems to be much more work going for solidworks users at the moment.
Cheers
michael

Comments

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    All CAD programs have their eccentricities. But once you know how to design well in one software, learning another CAD app is just a matter of figuring out which buttons to push. Not to mention, in my opinion both SW and OS are pretty easy to learn relative to other programs, and I've used Catia, Creo, Inventor, SW, and OS.

Each CAD program has some version of the same basic features - sketches, extrudes, revolves, sweeps, loft, etc. Onshape's interface is different from SolidWorks, but not different enough to be a real hindrance. If you really want to learn SW maybe you could get your hands on an educational copy? There are also plenty of youtube videos that could help you get accustomed to the interface.
  • Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    edited January 2018
    I took a 25-hour course on Solidworks through LinkedIn Learning. You can go directly to Lynda.com for the course and other related courses on Solidworks. I enjoyed it, but it could be a little repetitive when focusing on certain features and functions.

Overall I had a very positive experience and it gave me the knowledge and preparation to pass the Solidworks Professional Certification. Check it out, there are many good videos and resources on that site. Solidworks has a learning curve of course, but when transitioning from Onshape, it shouldn't be too big of a leap.
  • Options
    steve_cartersteve_carter Member Posts: 8
    Michael, I wouldn't myself a SW power user, I used to own a prototype machine shop here in the SF bay area and used SW a fair amount. My primary customer was SW based. Since the shop closed it's been several years since I used anything but simple 2D and when I was turned on the Onshape a couple of weeks back I jumped right in. In my view if you can use Onshape you should have no problems with SW, Onshape is way easier, but SW works is very similar. 
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I think the main difference is the file system, in SW each part, assembly, etc. is a separate file. With sw you need assemblies more and you probably give even more value to Onshapes multi-part studios than you do now. Hit the save button often not to lose work when it's crashing and you're good to go.

All cads have same problems with design intent, you can do things in many ways and it's up to you to make it nice or dirty.
    //rami
  • Options
    michael_stallsmichael_stalls Member Posts: 59 PRO
    cheers thanks for the response! ill just have to have a go at it...........I wish these companies used ONSHAPE instead!!!