Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dimensions to min, max, or center of diameter

wesley_astinwesley_astin Member Posts: 7
I'm sure there is a way to dimension to the outside or inside edge of a diameter or radius (min / max)?  I attached a drawing below the is an example of what i mean.  Top view dimension is pulled from bottom to outside, lower view is pulled from bottom to center of the radius.  In solidworks, you can send the leader arc condition to min / max with a check box.  Is there a way to choose which option i want?

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited January 2018
    Press SHIFT+Q when placing dimensions in drawings to show quadrant points.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • wesley_astinwesley_astin Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, that works.  
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @wesley_astin  You can also grip edit (drag dimension endpoints) any currently placed dimension onto any mid or quad point.   Neil gave the method for direct placement while actively placing dimensions.  Keep in mind, until we have true min/max dimensions for arcs (and also local min/max for curves later) - mid and quad points are only surrogates for min/max dimensions when entities are horizontally or vertically aligned.  I want users to be very aware of this fact.  Entities that reference mids and quads but are not horizontally or vertically aligned may not be telling the truth you think they are - especially as you approach close to horizontal or vertical alignment but aren't quite there.  We will deliver min/max dimensions in drawings, just be cognitive of the current limitations and use wisely.  

• wesley_astinwesley_astin Member Posts: 7
    Yes, i noticed on one part i tried there was about .001" discrepancy between actual and measured, i assumed it was that type situation.  Thanks for the other method, i'll be looking for the min/max capability in the future.