Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What determines whether custom features can be copied from another document?

edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU
When I attempt to copy a custom feature that I added to another versioned document that I own, the document appears grayed out in the "add custom features" dialog window and clicking on it returns the message "no custom features available" . The destination document has been versioned. What must I do to make this operation possible?

Best Answer

Answers

• edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU
    Got it- that's what I suspected.  So if I make a copy of someone else's feature, I own the copy and can share it with my team.

I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for students to access a preferred set of features without having to browse for them.  
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @edward_petrillo

Be cautious with this workflow.  If you copy the document to get at its custom features, you will have no way of knowing if the original writer updates their feature to a new version.  If you add the feature directly from the original document, there will be a notification and upgrade option for any code changes.

A suggestion: Create a google doc containing links to all the original custom feature documents.

Although, there is the upside that copying all these documents ensures that your students are all running exactly the same code, so maybe this is a good workflow for you!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @edward_petrillo

Was the version created before you inserted the custom feature into your document?

If it was, try creating another version on top of that
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU
    Thank you @Jake_Rosenfeld for the warning and Google Docs suggestion- we'll work something out.