Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

help circular pattern for circular saw blade

frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited April 2015 in Community Support
hmmm I'm trying to create a mockup of a circular saw blade, but I can't figure out how to make the circular pattern work in this case

in SolidWorks, I would've just selected Extrude 3 as the feature, pick an axis, and been done with it

in Onshape, I cannot select Extrude 3 at all, according to the help page, I can check "Face pattern" and select the faces of Extrude 3, which I tried, but that didn't work, probably because it had only 2 faces that do not enclose anything. I tried selecting the outer rim face as well but that didn't work either.

I also cannot figure out how to circular pattern a sketch before using extrude.

What is the right way to create this pattern?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    A way to accomplish this currently would be to change your cut extrude (I assume extrude 3) to a "New" to create a new part.  At this point you can pattern this part 30 times and do a boolean subtract.  This has no requirement of the new faces not completely removing the face.
    Thank you, that worked, but that action created 30 new parts, quite a clutter, and I'm not sure how to go back and change the number of teeth if I ever need to, without going through all these steps again.

It might help if there was an option to create 1 new part that represented all 30.
  • Options
    rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    A way to accomplish this currently would be to change your cut extrude (I assume extrude 3) to a "New" to create a new part.  At this point you can pattern this part 30 times and do a boolean subtract.  This has no requirement of the new faces not completely removing the face.
    Thank you, that worked, but that action created 30 new parts, quite a clutter, and I'm not sure how to go back and change the number of teeth if I ever need to, without going through all these steps again.

It might help if there was an option to create 1 new part that represented all 30.
    You can change the number of teeth by editing the circular pattern and changing the number of instances.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2015
    @frank26080115   Here's another quick example: public sawblade - feel free to examine. Sawblade frame is only 1 part (part1) but bits on teeth came out as independent parts, don't know how to combine.

@OnS Team: There should be a way to pattern a part in a way that it wouldn't create multiple new parts. Can't use boolean to combine if they don't intersect..

There was something weird happening with this model with the placement holes because I wasn't able to dimension them into place. Dimension was immediately greyed out as driven and if set to driving it would end up with over defined..
    //rami
  • Options
    Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    edited April 2015
    does patterning faces not work? 

• Make a profile of the saw blade with one tooth
    • extrude to thickness
    • select circular pattern
    • choose 'face pattern' in the circle pattern dialog
    • select the faces making the tooth cut out
    • choose the ring of the saw blade as the axis of pattern
    • make the angular degree and tooth number and voila or...
    • make the angular degree 360 and choose equal spacing and the appropriate number of teeth

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2015
    And another example according to @Ben thoughts. Depending on the specs for tooth shape this might be the most simple way to achieve sawblade like models. Now I begin to understand the power of face pattern over feature pattern (we need both).

Found also reason for placement holes locking in place, OnS seems to create tangent connection to somewhere outside view which made dimensioning overconstrain immediately. Best way to learn is to do. 

Here's another public sawblade link: Sawblade 2

//rami