Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Combining multiple imported parts into a single "Part Studio"

I am using the McMaster catalog for the first time to download pre-made hardware designs, like nuts, bolts, spacers.
When I import a part, Onshape creates a new "Part Studio" tab for each individual part.
Is there a way to combine the imported parts into a single "Part Studio", so I don't end up with a dozen tabs across the bottom of the screen? For example I could have a different "Part Studio" for Nuts and Bolts, another one for Spacers, etc, each one containing several imported parts in one place.

Best Answer

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Have a read of the "Derive" feature help, this will allow you to do as you wish.

Also worth noting that as of the January update onshape has built in hardware options.

Hp that helps Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • edward_casatiedward_casati Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Owen,

I must be missing something... I can derive' an object, but where do I put the original that I am going to reference? When I 'derived' an object, and removed the original that I derived from, the derived seemed to go away also. I saw a couple of projects  that did what I want to do 'by reference'  (there was a 'link symbol involved) but I couldn't figure out where the referenced object was stored..
    The hardware feature is nice, but it doesn't have the size nuts and screws that I need.... of course.  (sigh).
    -Edward
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Yes, select the 'flatten' option on import :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    edited January 2018
    OK, now I feel just plain stupid.....
    I can't find a 'flatten' option anywhere.
    A) I download the McMaster part.
    b) I 'import' the file by pressing the '+' at the bottom left of the screen.
    c) A couple of options are presented, neither of which are 'flatten'. I leave the options alone and proceed.
    d) The file gets imported into a new tab, plus a file that just seems like a redundant link to the original file.

No 'flatten'. No way to combine the two parts into a single tab that I can figure out.

(BTW... not a useless thread... there's something missing in the user interface that may be obvious to experienced users, but is not intuitive to us plain folk.)
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    No 'flatten'. No way to combine the two parts into a single tab that I can figure out.
    the flatten only is applicable if you improting the whole assembly, then if "flatten" selected all the part are imported in the same part studio. so you need to add your parts in some assembly first in another CAD and then import the assebly to OS
    Thanks Owen and everyone else,
    The 'create folders' answer is a great temporary solution,until something better can be devised. It still isn't the same as being able to import multiple parts into a single parts studio, but it's a good start!

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi Edward.

Sure thing. :)

One other thing I'd recommend is to add a mate connector to the part in your library part studio.  Then when the time comes to use the part the connector will come in with it too.  Sure they can be inferred from the geometry later but I prefer to have a predefined point that I know is being used each time.

I'm also hoping that in a future version of OS we'll be able to reference mate connectors along the lines of "Derived1.Mateconnector2" to make assembly configurations pretty much build themselves B)

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd