Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I construct/model a rolled plate in Onshape.

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited July 2017
    No way to flatten this yet. It has been requested many times to be included as part of sheet metal. This is a common requirement and needs to be included. I'd also like to see some form of surface/freeform flattering as well.

I did notice @john_mcclary had done some flattering with using the measure Feature Script to build a new flat sketch. There may even be a flattering Feature Script if someone can lead us in the right direction. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I used the featurescript Measure Distance Extended https://cad.onshape.com/documents/77baa8153589a7fc5f289829/w/cffd0f2a7077380d5378a885/e/d3174bf5315e6aafcb889367

Which lets you make a measurement and then stores it in a variable:

From there I made a sketch "using" as much information from existing sketches. And as many constraints as possible.

Then I used the MD feature to set the length of the part
    and also to set the spacing of the slots.

The result ls close enough for my needs. But doesn't account for metal stretching or anything. But that's why I use 2" slots when I roll form :D
    Hope this helps

• hobie_smithhobie_smith Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Hello,
    can you maybe make a video of the individual steps?

I can not do this.

Greetings Hobie
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    @hobie_smith resently rolled sheet metal functionality was introdused, so you can directly obtain a flat pattern, if your part was made as sheet metal
    edited March 2018
    @hobie_smith I made a mock up of how to do both the new way using sheet-metal (See Blue part) and the older way which was manually flattening (see yellow part)

I didn't add any holes to the side wall, but you can copy this and play around with it. Just roll back to the beginning and you can see how I do this step by step.

If you still want a video, I'll be happy to do one, but it may be a few days away before I can get to that.

let me know!

Edit: Helps if I include a link to the document... :) 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/28050bca2b1ddeb0acbab720/w/72369ffa7faabbf84de28ab1/e/eb89dcc51a42945fad1bb5b1

• hobie_smithhobie_smith Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Great thank you. I will work through the steps and test them.

Thumbs up for the quick answers.

For Gramatik errors is the Google translator's fault ;)
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @hobie_smith

When you create a Sheet Metal Model, choose "Thicken" at the top, then choose the face of the import that you want to use.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • lance_robinsonlance_robinson Member Posts: 1
    I am able to do a can, but not a cone. Any workaround?
    edited May 2018
    cone does note appear to be supported yet

I was about to add a improvement request for lofted sheet-metal, cone is pretty much the same command anyways

Vote for it here:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9297/loft-sheet-metal/p1?new=1