Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape, CAD, maker project and design.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:

1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I construct/model a rolled plate in Onshape.

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 1,157 PRO
    edited July 13
    No way to flatten this yet. It has been requested many times to be included as part of sheet metal. This is a common requirement and needs to be included. I'd also like to see some form of surface/freeform flattering as well.

I did notice @john_mcclary had done some flattering with using the measure Feature Script to build a new flat sketch. There may even be a flattering Feature Script if someone can lead us in the right direction. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 405 PRO
    I used the featurescript Measure Distance Extended https://cad.onshape.com/documents/77baa8153589a7fc5f289829/w/cffd0f2a7077380d5378a885/e/d3174bf5315e6aafcb889367

Which lets you make a measurement and then stores it in a variable:

From there I made a sketch "using" as much information from existing sketches. And as many constraints as possible.

Then I used the MD feature to set the length of the part
    and also to set the spacing of the slots.

The result ls close enough for my needs. But doesn't account for metal stretching or anything. But that's why I use 2" slots when I roll form :D
    Hope this helps