Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sweep direction

gal_razgal_raz Member, Mentor Posts: 39 ✭✭
How can I control the sweep direction ?
Gal Raz
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited September 2014
    @Gal‌ The path determines that. The path gives you length and direction. What are you looking to do? If the path resides in the middle of the path then either the patch needs to be split or the profile is located to the end of the part path and it follows it. I want to understand what you are after?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Paul ArnerPaul Arner Onshape Employees Posts: 9
    (I think you meant "if the (part?) resides in the middle of the path"), or maybe (profile?)
  • gal_razgal_raz Member, Mentor Posts: 39 ✭✭
    @LouGallo‌ , @PaulArner‌ , I hope the next image will explain better
    Gal Raz
    It looks to me like you are sweeping a face along an edge, but the edge does not begin or end on the face you want to sweep. (i'm guessing that the highlighted line is the edge you are sweeping along).
    The UI for sweep really depends on the path either beginning or ending on the face being swept, thus eliminating the need for a direction, as it becomes fixed at that point.
    Remember, we are sweeping along a curvilinear path with this functionality, not just in a direction, as in extrude.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Gal Specifying a directions in a sweep is not a typical input. There are a number of features that could be added like guide curves, start and end tangency controls and a number of end conditions to allow control, twisting and other complex sweep control.

If a path is intended to be started in the middle or not at the end, an end control would solve that or redefining the path to have the desired start/end and length. Does that make sense?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.